one.

—

POINT PLACE, WISCONSIN
JULY 3, 1995
11:47 A.M.

LOCATION:
THE HYDE FAMILY'S DRIVEWAY

ANGUS Hyde hunkered into the backseat of her dad's car, tapping her feet disdainfully. It was not unusual for her to be the first out of her family to be ready, but having to wait for her parents for over a half hour was outlandish. She fought the urge to honk the car horn, pulling all of her focus toward the annoying rhythm of her feet. If there was one trait her parents passed down to her, it would be her lack of patience.

     The moment Angus spotted her parents walking out the front door, she sighed in relief, silently celebrating that she didn't need to wait a moment longer. She could sense the construction of a smart ass remark as they inched toward the car, but she immediately bit her tongue once she noticed her mother yelling at her father. Angus braced herself as her mother opened the door to the passenger seat.

"Steven, how many times have I told you that for the good of this family, it's best not to rush me?" Jackie huffed as she settled into the car.

     Steven rolled his eyes before positioning himself in the driver's seat. "You went through every single item of clothing in your closet just to go with the first outfit you tried on."

     "Well, unlike some people, I like to show effort in how I look."

     Steven turned to his daughter, disbelief painted across his expression as Angus threw her hands up in surrender. She wasn't sure if he was looking to her for
help or if he thought her mother was talking about her. Nonetheless, Angus knew best not to get involved with her parents' petty fights— not that they lasted that long anyway.

     "Oh, she's totally not talking about me."

     "What's wrong with my clothes?" Steven asked, his defensive tone evident as he pulled out of their driveway.

     Jackie snorted. "A band t-shirt and jeans? You're not seventeen anymore, Steven."

    Steven paused for a moment before exclaiming, "I'm wearing a blazer over it!"

     Jackie huffed, turning to look out her window as the tension in the air thickened. Angus leaned back in her seat, a smirk tugging the corners of her lips while she watched her father experience an internal conflict— stand his ground or give in. Both Jackie and Angus knew the outcome, but they always kept silent to avoid patronizing Steven. Eventually, he gave in, lasting a whole ten minutes before sighing in defeat.