Chapter 1: A Striking Offer

May POV

Present time

"I'm back," I called out tiredly, as I entered my house. To my surprise,  my brother was home.

Max flashed a smile and ran up to me, "Hey May! Long time no see!" Last year, Max started his own pokemon journey in the Hoenn region. He was quite successful in the league there too, being runner-up.

"Hey Max, welcome home!" I gave my brother an affectionate hug.

My mom, Caroline, walked in and and gave both of us a bone crushing hug. "Aww~We're all together again. It's been awhile since we did a group hug~!" My brother and I exchanged hopeless glances. Pulling away, Mom gazed at Max with pride, "Congratulations for making runner-up in the Hoenn League honey. Your father would be as proud as I was right now. Probably more."

"Would he really?" Max replied hopefully. Mom smiled at him warmly, hugging him closer. I fell silent, feeling water well up in my eyes.

After all, it was my fault Dad got killed.

When Max and Mom notice my appearance, I broke out of the embrace and hastily went to my room. Mom  gave me a pleading look as I went the stairs, "May don't blame yourself, it's not your fault." I shook my head and ignored her.

My father's death occupied my mind day and night; it was a never ending cycle. I quickened my pace to my room before anyone could reached me. Upon entering, the first thing I did was to lock my room as stray tears were already falling. Inside my room, Delcatty was lounging on my bed. She noticed my presence and padded towards me and tried to comfort by nuzzling my leg. I crouched down beside and gently brush Delcatty's fur. I let out a shaky smiled as she started to purr.

-knock!-knock!-

I remained silent, continuing to brush my cat's fur.

"May, it's me, Max. Look, I need to tell you something. It's really important." Slightly interested, I opened the door. Max stood there and gave me a brochure and a ticket. The ticket was for a trip to Kalos, while the brochure was about some professor. Seeing my confused expression, Max explained. "It's the Kalos region. I heard you have a-"

"I don't have any phobias" I denied flatly. Max raised an eyebrow, trying to bring a bit of humor, "I didn't say 'phobia' May."

"I already knew what you're to say." I cut him off. 

 Max sighed, becoming serious. "Mom told me everything about your health during my journey. You haven't improve since Dad's gone, and you start to panic and when you see a pokemon mega evolve right?"

"So? I really don't see why you care so much about it," I sneered, turning away from him. Max was taken back by the venom in my voice. Still, he grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to face him.    

"May, I want to help you anyway possible." Max pleaded. He lowered his  gaze to the ground, "You know, I'm also in blame of his death too..." I pinched the bridge of my nose in annoyance. He weren't the one who saw Dad burning alive in your hands, or feeling his body slowly going limp. The memories were already running through my head. 

Not wanting to think about it any longer, I changed the subject. "So about this professor," Max narrowed his eyes, but went with my bad attempt of transitioning,"The professor is Sycamore and he lives in Kalos. His main research is about mega evolution. Maybe if you understand it, you wouldn't freak out so much."

"Max, I don't freak out. Just everytime I see a mega evolved pokemon, I think of Blaziken and then what happened...." I pause thinking back.

Max opened his mouth, but I quickly shook my head, the memories dispersing: "Anyway, I'm also too busy to travel, being a gym leader and teacher for contests at Rustboro."  Max unfortunately was stubborn and still persistent.