Chapter 35: Cheating

During breakfast, Shania realised that she could not remember the Mandarin phrase that she was supposed to write out by memory for her lesson with Jasmine lao shi. She ate hurriedly and didn't participate with the family conversation. 

"Nay, are you okay?" Mama Lee asked.
"Umm, yeah? I'm okay," replied Shania.
"Then why do you seem so nervous?" Mama Lee probed.
"Ma, I'm fine," Shania snapped.
"Hey, watch your tone Shania," Papa Lee glared at Shania.
Shania slumped her shoulders and apologized, "I'm sorry Mama, I'm okay. Don't worry about me."

After finishing her toast, Shania excused herself to get ready for her class. Knowing that she's going to fail her Mandarin test and not wanting to fail, Shania decided that she's going to cheat.

She went to her room to quickly write the phrase out on her palm. She just has to be stealthy enough since Jasmine laoshi will only see her on screen. But Colin would be a problem. She figured that she can hide her palm away from him. He's usually busy going through her work during her Mandarin lessons anyway.

Just as she predicted, Colin was seated on his desk across the room marking Shania's work. While he signalled Shania to log in for Jasmine laoshi's class.

Shania was nervous but she was also confident that she won't be caught. 

Not long after starting the lesson with Jasmine laoshi, it was time for the dreaded test. Shania had to share the iPad's screen with Jasmine laoshi while still on camera on her iMac so she can see her writing in real time. Of course, Jasmine laoshi could only see down to Shania's chest and what she was writing on the iPad but not see her hands. Shania deliberately wrote slowly and kept rewriting and erasing what she wrote. Colin wasn't paying attention to Shania.

But what Shania didn't know was that Papa Lee was peeking through the door behind her as he was aware that Shania had her test through the notice uploaded by Jasmine on the portal that he and Chris had access to. Papa Lee came inside the study without Shania noticing.

He saw that she was looking at her palm and that there was writings on her palm. He came closer and realized that she was trying to cheat. Papa Lee grabbed Shania's left wrist with and tilted her palms to reveal the chinese writings.

"What are you trying to do?" Papa Lee asked Shania angrily while tightening his grip on her wrist.
Shania was too shocked to answer. By then, Colin had already stood up and watched the commotion.

Papa Lee walked over to Colin's desk to pick up the wooden ruler and Shania knew what was coming for her.

"Papa, please! I'm sorry! I was wrong," Shania apologized as she took small steps back to distance herself from Papa Lee. It was futile since Papa Lee's strides were fast and he managed to grab her wrist again. Shania used her free hand to try to pull Papa Lee's grip off but he was too strong. He put the ruler down on the table and yanked Shania to make her stand up straight.

"Stand up straight," warned Papa Lee.
"Noo, please Papa. I'm sorry!" Begged Shania as she tried pulling herself away.

Papa Lee then grabbed her arms and gave 5 continuous smacks to her bum.

"Do you want to stand up straight or do you want more smacks?" Papa Lee questioned his daughter as he released his grip.

Shania stood up straight and covered her bum with her hands. She was sobbing by now. She was frustrated that she got caught and that she may not be able to go to Singapore anymore.

"Stretch out your hands and give me your palms," Papa Lee instructed.
Not wanting to piss him off any longer, Shania did as she was told.
Papa Lee took the wooden ruler and slapped her palms repeatedly. Whenever Shania pulled her palms away, Papa Lee would smack her thighs with the ruler instead making Shania put her palms out again. 

It must have been about thirty slaps on her palms with the wooden ruler before Papa Lee stopped and lifted up Shania's chin to make eye contact with her.

"Do you know why you got punished?" Papa Lee asked.
"Because I cheated on my test," Shania replied in between sobs.
"Okay, you're gonna complete Jasmine's punishment after dinner tonight. You're not going to bed until you're done," Papa Lee told Shania.
"I'm sorry my daughter cheated, Jasmine. Just administer her punishment as homework and I'll make sure she completes them by tomorrow," Papa Lee spoke to Jasmine Laoshi on the video call. Jasmine laoshi really made Shania write the passage 50 times. That means she has to write about 2500 Chinese characters before she could go to bed.

After dinner, Shania went to Papa Lee's study to complete her punishment and homework. It was like as if Colin didn't get the hint. He should know that Shania would have a ton of writings to do but he still gave Shania a bunch of homework to complete.

Papa Lee sat beside Shania at the conference table while she did what she needed to do.

"Can I still go to Singapore for my school break?" Shania broke the silence and asked Papa Lee.
"I will discuss this with Mama and Chris. For now, complete your work. I'll spank you every hour from 10pm if you're still not done to motivate you to work faster," Papa Lee warned Shania.

Shania teared up and cried silently while writing. She somehow knew that it's high chance that her vacation plans are gone.

Papa Lee saw that his daughter was stressed and wanted to hug her and tell her that it's all good and she's still going to Singapore, but he doesn't want her to be complacent. He wanted to put the message across and make her remember that cheating is never okay.

Shania only finished her homework and writing punishment a little after 1am. Papa Lee did not end up spanking her as he could tell that she was really trying her best to write as fast and clear as she could.

Again, after sending her to her room, he came in to check on her after 30 minutes. This time, Shania wasn't asleep yet. 

Papa Lee sat beside her on her bed and spoke to her.

"Will you cheat again?" Papa Lee asked.
"No, sir," Shania replied with a whisper.
"Although I'm upset at you for cheating, I'm proud that you completed your punishment without whining or complaining," Papa Lee patted Shania's head.

Papa Lee stood up to tuck her to sleep. He leaned down and kissed Shania on her forehead.

"Also, you're still going to Singapore," Papa Lee smiled as he stood up.

Shania couldn't help but to jump out of bed to give Papa Lee a big hug.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm sorry for today but I promise I'll be good!" Shouted Shania as she hugged her father.

"Go back in bed and get to sleep before I change my mind," laughed Papa Lee as he tucked her back in bed for the second time.

Shania grinned as she shut her eyes and get another kiss from Papa Lee.

"Good night sweetie," Papa Lee said.
"Good night Papa," Shania replied as she yawned and adjusted her position to get comfortable.