|I{•------» [46] «------•}I|

""I don't know what this kid's training has been, but he's incredibly fast," Sasuke remarked as they continued to run through the forest, chasing after Idate, who was proving to be exceptionally swift.

"Who could he be?" Sakura wondered aloud.

"He can't be his brother... can he?" Ruka bit her lip, her thoughts racing as she ran, overtaking her teammates. "I think I know who he is, but I need to confirm it."

"Who cares?" Naruto sneered. "He's toast when I catch up with him!"

"He's getting further away every second," Ruka grunted, pushing herself to maintain her speed. "At this rate, it seems impossible to catch up to him."

"I told you he's fast," Sasuke informed the group, and they all came to a halt on a cliff, gasping for breath. Ruka was shocked to encounter someone who could outpace her, leaving her intrigued by Idate's abilities.

"There's no way," Sakura panted. "We'll never catch him. He's even out of Ruka's league."

Ruka sighed, shaking her head. "Leave him. Let's just focus on our real mission."

"Okay," Naruto grumbled in annoyance. "But if I ever see that stupid jerk again, watch out!"

---

The three genin and one chunin now stood in front of the head of the Wasabi family. "I've been told by the Fifth Hokage that you would explain what you would like us to do," Ruka spoke up, and the old man nodded.

"Alright," he cleared his throat. "Go on, have a seat." He gestured, and they sat down in front of him.

"It all started long ago," he began, sharing the backstory of the dedication ceremony held at the Great Todoroki Shrine every four years—a competition between the Wasabi and Wagarashi families.

"I beg you," the old man bowed before them. "Please lend our family your strength. If we lose again... it means the Wagarashi will control this land for four more years."

"Not gonna happen," Naruto chimed in with a smug smile. "I'm on the job."

Sasuke looked at Ruka, noticing her narrowed eyes fixed on the head of the family. "So who are we supposed to escort, anyway?"

The old man smiled and clapped his hands twice, causing a nearby door to slide open, revealing a young boy. "You wanted me?" he asked, glancing up and catching the gaze of the princess.

"What a coincidence," Ruka muttered, causing Jirocho to smile at her. "So you already know each other. That makes everything easier."

Noticing the death glares exchanged between Naruto and Idate, Ruka let out a tired sigh. "I doubt that."