The Beauty of Psyche

Once upon a time, there was a king who had three wonderful daughters. The youngest, Psyche, was much more beautiful than her two sisters and looked like a goddess among mere mortals. The fame of its beauty had been spread throughout the whole kingdom and men kept coming to her palace to admire and worship her. When people would see her, they used to say that not even Aphrodite herself could compete Psyche. The more people were getting to know Psyche, the less would remember the goddess of love and beauty. The temples of Aphrodite were abandoned, her altars covered with cold ashes and the sculptors would no more make statues for her. All the honors reserved to her were then attributed to a simple, mortal girl.

The goddess could not accept such a situation and required help from his son, Eros. He told him in distress, "Use your power and make this little shameless girl to fall in love with the vilest and the most despicable creature who has ever walked on Earth." Eros agreed to do so but the moment he saw her, he himself felt his heart pierced by one of his own arrows. He couldn’t make that charming maiden fall in love with a horrible creature but also decided not to tell his mother.