7 - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

GOSSIP GIRL
CHAPTER SEVEN

LUNCH IS WARZONE FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS

LUNCH IS WARZONE FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS. It's the one time of day where it's every man for themselves. In Boston, the cafeteria was laid out in a very distinctive way. Most tables were compressed together, toppling over one another. The closer you got to the top, the more spread out the table became and the more evident the social hierarchy became. The top table was a throne to the high school kingdom. There it had the queen bee, Aubrey and her council of superficial subjects.

On each side of Aubrey's throne was another table where the wannabes sat, hoping to be invited to the royal table. Quinn and her friends sat on the third level. Close enough to be considered popular but not too close that they were hangers on.

Quinn detested the top table because she wasn't apart of it. She hated that Aubrey could flick her hair and giggle and have everyone fall at her feet. She hated it because she wanted it too.

Conrad had been demoted from his position at the top table to Quinn's. He didn't care for the hierarchy. He'd been there and it wasn't as glamorous as it seemed.

"Stop staring at them, your eyes will go wonky." Conrad muttered to his girlfriend as he shovelled pasta into his mouth.

Quinn turned her glare from Aubrey to Conrad. "It's not fair."

Conrad had to hold his laugh. He couldn't understand why anyone would want what Aubrey had. Popularity meant nothing to him. But it meant everything to Quinn. Even though she was at a table surrounded by her closest friends, she still wanted the top table.

"The Throne is for seniors only anyway." Layla reminded. They were only sophomores, they still had a lot of time to climb the social ladder.

"Missy Vanderbilt sat at the Throne when she was only a junior. I need to one up her."

"Missy Vanderbilt blackmailed Tracy Turncox into giving up her seat." Layla pointed out as the voice of reason.

Quinn pondered for a moment. "I could do that."

It wasn't like she didn't know any of Aubrey's secrets. Her and Conrad's relationship was built on Aubrey's secrets.

"You're better than that, aren't you?"

Quinn but her lip, genuinely wondering. Was she better? She did hook up with her best friend's boyfriend. Was she really above blackmail?

"Why do you want Aubrey's seat anyway?" All heads turned to Conrad. Even though they didn't agree with Quinn, they all understood the social implications of the Throne. The words idiot sat on the tip of Quinn's tongue but she had to refrain. He was her boyfriend.

"You are lucky you're pretty." Conrad just rolled his eyes and continued eating.

"After the musical, you'll have a better shot at a seat." Florence stated. A smile grew on Quinn's face at the mention of the musical. Relief settled in her stomach. She was right. Once she performed and everyone saw how glamorous she was, she would be guaranteed a seat at the table.