The Dreamer

Klaus's POV

The sun trickles in through the sheer curtains of the large window. I used to stare at this window for hours. What is the need for such a large structure of glass, I would ask myself. Looking up at the way the light paints her face I believe I've found the answer. 

"I dreamt of this once." I break our silence.

She runs her fingers across my forehead enticing me to go on.

"I dreamt of a woman to share this very sight with. I dreamt of a partner to stare as I stare and share thoughts entertained. I dreamt she would hold me as I held her and feel my unbeaten heart. Do you feel my heart my love?"

"It drums tunes through my mind Klaus." 

"I could die here."

"Would you stop saying that?"

"I could."

"You know dying in someones arms isn't as romantic as it sounds."

"What a peaceful way to go ever still."

"Not yet little demon." She teases as she touches the rim of my nose.

I feel like a teenager here. I feel young despite my years. Despite my rotting core. I truly am at peace with meeting my ends here.

Our simple bliss is feverishly interrupted by a bang at the door. 

"I'll get it." She says as she slips from beneath me. She replaces her presence with a pillow. I watch her disappear from the doorframe.

Moments latter, she reappears with my sister behind her.

"Klaus," Caroline starts.

"We found a cure." Rebekah interrupts.

"You did?" I am shocked. 

"Yes, we found a cure.  You must be replenished with the blood of your dearest lover."

"What does that mean?" I question.

"It means you need to drink from me." Caroline answers. Her face is grim despite what I thought to her would be good news.

"My love, I thought you'd be pleased by this news. Why do you frown?"

"Klaus, I want you to live; no matter what. That is what I want and I need you to know this."

"Yes, I know this."

"There's a glitch in the cure." Rebekah continues.

"What is it?" I ask. Carolines face reddens.

"You have to drink from her until you are healed."

The realization cripples my train of thought.

"No, absolutely not."

"That's exactly what I said. Klaus will not manipulate my best friend into ...wait what?" Elena starts and then stops. I can only assume she has followed Rebekah to mark her stance in protest. She looks at me with confusion printed on her face. "Did you just say no?"

"Of course I did. This is far too large of a risk."

"I agree." She says. I can tell that she is slightly disgusted to admit we are on the same page.

"Then it's settled. I shall die here in the presence of love and shelter." I contend.

"Wait, what? No! This isn't your decision to make."

"Um love, I think it kind of is."

"I want to do it." She crosses her arms.

"Caroline, this isn't the time to be combative."

"I think it is. I lose a little blood and get to keep you. It sounds like a fair trade."

"Love I know how these spells go. It won't be a little blood. It will be enough to make the trade far behind fair."

"How do you know?"

"Trust me, I do."

"He's right Caroline, you could get hurt. Really hurt." Says Elena.

"I will be hurt no matter the choice. So I choose this." Caroline stands her ground.