Around Every Corner [3]

———————

"Please... don't hurt him!" Clementine speaks again making the strangers eyes go wide.
"He's not bad!" Sydney yells when she watches the girl hesitant.

Slowly, Molly gets off Lee and takes a step back as Lee finds his feet too. He rubs his head as he makes his way towards the girls.

"You're not from Crawford." The girl suddenly talks in a muffled voice making Lee turn as she takes off her hoodie and mask.

"You're not the guy on the radio." Lee states. "I'm not a guy at all. Full marks for observation." She jokes as Kenny suddenly walks out his hiding place behind the girl with his gun pointed to her head.

"Kenny don't!" Lee yells before the girl swiftly sweeps Kenny's leg and he falls, landing on his side as his gun fires. Molly kicks his gun away and brings down her ice pick, when Sydney yells.

"Dad!" She shouts running to him as she stops her hit last minute as the girl passes her and runs to her dad.

Kenny gets up slowly with his daughters help as the girl puts her weapon away. The two share silence listening to the nearby walkers before the girl speaks.

"Who the hell are you people?" She asks crossing her arms. "Kenny, back off. Unless you want this lady to give you another ass-whooping." Lee warns as Kenny turns his glare somewhere else.

"Who're you calling lady?" She speaks turning towards Lee. "The name's Molly."

"Molly, I'm Lee, this is Kenny, Sydney and Clementine. We're not looking for any trouble." Lee explains as Clementine waves with a smile.

"You guys really aren't from Crawford, are you?" She asks again. "No, I'm from Macon. Kenny here's from Florida." Lee answers.

"She didn't ask for our life stories, Lee." Kenny quickly remarks. "What's the deal with this Crawford place?" He asks after.

"You sure you wanna know?" She asks turning towards Kenny who simply nods so she starts her story. "When everything went to shit, some people got together and sealed off that whole neighborhood. Folks willing to do anything to stay alive, stop the dead getting in. I try to avoid 'em."

"Why?" Kenny asks with his arms crossed.

"Let's just say they have a zero-tolerance policy for anyone who won't... or can't... live by their rules." She states. "So how'd you know we weren't them?" Kenny asks.

"Because there are no children in Crawford. Not anymore." She answers looking at Clementine which sends shivers up her back.

"What do you mean, no children? Why not?" Lee asks with a confused look.

"No children, no elderly, no one with an advanced medical condition. Basically, no one who might be a burden on the community. Crawford's all about the survival of the fittest. That's how they survived, while the rest of the world went to shit around them." She explains as they look at the big barrier.

"Holy shit." Kenny says looking down at his daughter.

"What exactly did Crawford do with all these "burdens"? What happened to them?" Lee asks worriedly.

"Well, you met some of them already." She gestures towards the barricade.

"Fuck me." Kenny cusses again at the new information, putting his hand on his head.

"Yeah. Anyone who got sick, anyone too old, anyone they figured wasn't strong enough to survive. To them those people were just mouths to feed, a drain on their precious resources." She explains as they look towards at it.