19. My Miracle

Aranyani, the goddess of forests. She is worthy of worship for being the guardian deity of sacred sanctuaries, woodlands and jungles. The goddess of forests and the wild animals that dwell within them.

"You are my little Goddess." Alicent declared. They left out the part where they thought Ara was dead and turned into a tree to save Alicent the worry. 

"I found another book, its really old." Aemond remarked blowing off the dust. One passage in particular stuck out to alicent. 

This area was once the kingdom of Raja Mordhwaj. The king and queen desperately wanted a child, so they prayed to Goddess Durga, who appeared one night in the king's dream and blessed him. Soon, the queen had a baby boy.

"I prayed for a baby that was mine." Alicent whispered. "All mine." Alicent looked to Ara. "I prayed for you." 

~

Many years ago Alicent had given birth to Aemond and she so desperately wanted to love her children but she wanted one that was her. Not viserys but her. She prayed and prayed for a little girl. She prayed for a girl like her. One that she could see herself in. Not the queen, not the Targaryen silver hair of royalty but the girl she used to be. The one filled with love and life and wonder. 

Alicent sat on the ground, dirtying her dress as she leaned up against one of the trees in the palace gardens. She had twirled a rose Criston had given her in the moonlight and prayed for a daughter. 

She prayed for life and love and passion. For her child to get every thing she ever wanted and more. She prayed as she twirled that rose, thorns prickling at her fingers drawing back blood but she was used to the pain. 

She prayed every night for a daughter and the next time Viserys mounted her Alicent quickly left his chambers and pulled Criston to her. 

"Make me forget." Alicent begged kissing him again and again. He barred the door and as he turned back to her she was kissing him again. 

It wasnt the first time but it felt different. Maybe it was the euphoria of Criston loving her right, maybe it was her prayers being answered. 

When she birthed Daeron into the world she felt a surge of disappointment. Her prayers were not answered. Why did she think they would be. Her teeth chattered as she felt the pain of Daeron ripping through her. 

"Somethings... not right." Alicent declared. She watched the wet nurse duck her head down between her legs. 

"Another." 

"Another?" Alicent countered. 

"Another your grace." She agreed. "Hiding in there." 

"Hiding." Alicent rasped as they demanded she push. Alicent pushed like her life depended on it. 

"Little one she is." 

"She?" Alicent questioned using all her strength to try and sit up through the pain. 

"A little girl." She held Alicent's baby girl up. Alicent reached for her cradling her baby to her. 

"A girl. My little miracle." Alicent whispered looking to her dark little tuffs. She didnt make a peep. Just coed contently. Alicent looked to her son and reached for him as well. Feeling like a terrible mother for not. She looked between them and Alicent held her baby a little closer. Her prayer was answered, the Gods heard her. 

"Well done your grace."

"Aranyani Rose." Alicent declared without second thought. 

"Aranyani your grace?" 

"Aranyani." Alicent agreed, she had never heard the name before but it came to her so clearly and she remembered Aranyani opening her eyes at her name, the deepest of greens stared back at Alicent. "Aranyani." She repeated kissing her little head. "My little miracle."

~

"How did you pick my name?" ara questioned. Alicent blinked back at her. 

"I... I dont really know." Alicent admitted. "I just... knew." Ara smiled, the voice in the forest was right. Her name was chosen. She was chosen as the Goddess, as the protector, as Alicent's daughter. "I never heard the name before but I knew and you did too." 

"I did?" Ara countered. 

"I said your name and your eyes popped open." Alicent agreed. "The greenest of eyes stared back at me." Alicent brought a hand to Ara's cheek. "It was the happiest day of my life"

"Thanks mother." Aegon grumbled but Ara held tight to Alicent. 

"Rose because Criston had given me a rose. He knew I liked them... Aranyani Rose." Alicent declared as Ara's gaze shifted to Criston smiling back at them. 

"Roses beautiful with the potential to make you bleed." Aemond remarked and Ara smirked back at him. 

"My little Miracle."