Draco Malfoy

You had barely set foot in Hogwarts, but you already knew that there was one person you shouldn't go near, and his name was Draco Malfoy.

Your family had a bad history with the Malfoys, a history that went back to generations but whose hatred had not diminished with time. And how could you forgive the family that stabbed yours in the back for years? The same family that had been responsible for your grandfather's death during the wizarding war? No, Malfoys weren't wizards worthy of respect, and their son would certainly not be different.

Not only that, but being a half-blood witch it was a safety issue to stay away from blood supremacists, and Draco Malfoy was the worst type of them: The type that didn't question what he was taught. Of course, the situation was even worse when a few weeks before the start of classes you had received a letter that said:

'I heard that this year Hogwarts will be poorly attended, but unfortunately it's not my decision to expel you. I hope you don't speak to me, I'm not obliged to live with inferior people.

Draco Malfoy.'

The journey on the Hogwarts express had been pleasant, and you walked towards the castle stairs with your heart pounding in your chest, eager to know where you would spend the next few years and hoping to keep the family legacy in Gryffindor.

Several first years walked around bumping into each other in a disorganized and confused group, all equally agitated and chatty. You still hadn't laid eyes on your destined enemy, you were too focused talking to the girl you'd met on the train: Katie Bell. The two of you were chatting about the castle's structure, your expectations and the day you received the letters. It was exciting to make a friend on the first day, and you weren't interested enough to care what house the other kids would be placed in.

You were so involved in the conversation that you did not pay any attention to the names that began to be called, one by one, to the sorting hat. You were practically ignoring the situation around you until your attention was caught by a familiar name.

"Draco Malfoy. " Professor McGonagall called out.

You had an idea of what he would be like, but still your curiosity was stronger and you held your gaze on the scene happening in front of you, the blond boy confidently climbing the stairs to be sorted into a house.

You didn't have time to appreciate the variety of information hitting your brain at an unbelievable speed. All the colours and intensities, the glow of the candles that lit the room, nothing caught your attention more than the growing despair in your chest. It was a misunderstanding, wasn't it? You had it wrong for sure.

Your first reflex after the initial shock was to duck to the ground in time to hear the hat scream "Slytherin!", the voice muffled by the bodies of the students around you. You hoped Draco hadn't seen you as well, you couldn't be trapped in a soul connection with a Malfoy, your family would disown you if you didn't throw yourself out first. What kind of nightmare was this? You would spend the rest of your life alone, but you wouldn't accept that.

You felt Katie's hand land on your shoulder, bringing you back to reality.

"Are you okay?" You agreed reflexively, as you weren't sure what she was saying. "Stand up, people are looking at you.”

When you stood up again, Malfoy was no longer in the same place, but you found him scanning the entire group of first years, his expression unreadable.

You took a deep breath, there was no way of avoiding him for seven years, it was better that everything happened at once, you knew he needed to see you as well. However, when your eyes met, nothing seemed to happen, and he continued to carefully look at each of the students around you without giving you any more importance than the others. What the hell was going on? Had it really been a misunderstanding?