chapter one

⇏ It was now my 5th year here. It was a small and quiet life. Of course, I mean that metaphorically. Newsies went everywhere and were always loud, even at seven in the morning.

"What do you mean you didn't do it? Will you get up? When you get up, it's time to get up!" I groaned as I heard Kloppman hollering. "Snitch! Get up! Get up! Everybody's sleeping. They sleep their lives away these kids! The presses are rolling! Sell the papers, sell the papers! Come on, come on. You dreaming about selling papers?"

Rolling over, I clutched my cover closer to me. This got Kloppman's attention as he started yelling at me.

"Come on Frenchy! Get up! Get your troops up! Sell the next edition and kill the competion, right?"

I poked my head out of my cocoon for a second. "No, dont have no troops, just need sleep."

"COME ON FRENCHY." I jumped up, my head hitting the underside of the bunk.

I heard a few chuckles when I snatched my pants from the floor. Glaring at Kloppman, I pulled them up and didn't bother to tuck in the other shirt tail. Plopping back down onto the bunk, I jerked the boots up and over my pants.

I jumped back onto my feet and headed to the bathroom, hoping to find my suspenders. I really didn't want to have to hike my pants up all day. While crossing the treacherous room I saw Snipe with Race's cigar in his mouth.

"HEY! THAT'S MY CIGAR!"

Snipershooter rolled his eyes and retorted, "You'll steal anudda."

I walked past them, snatched my hat off of Crutchy's head, and said, "Hey Bummers, Wes got work to do!"

"Since when did yous become mes mudda?" Specs piped up.

Crutchy chuckled while saying, "Ah stop ya bawlin!"

"HEY WHO ASKED YOUS?"

I slid past Kid Blink and moved my way through the room.

"So, how'd you sleep Jack?"

"On me back Mush."

"Ha ha. Hear that fellas? Hear what Jack said?

I asked Jack how he slept and he said 'On me back Mush'"

"Jack, Frenchy, when I walk, does it look like I'm faking it?" Crutchy said from beside me and Jack.

"No. Whos says yous faking it? I'll soak them for even thinkin' it!" I growled out. Jack smacked my head with an old pape.

"I dunno. It's just there's so many fake crips on the street today, a real crip ain't got a chance. I gotta find me a new selling spot where they ain't used to seeing me." Jack nodded and the other newsies started yelling out new spots.

"Try Bottle Alley or the harbor!" Mush yelled.

Race joined in, "Try Central Park, it's guaranteed!"

"Try any banker, bum, or barber," Jack suggested.

"Theys almost all knows how to read!" I grinned at Crutchy.

Grabbing a brush, I yanked through the knots in my hair and pulled it into a low ponytail.

[KID BLINK]

I smell money

[CRUTCHY]

You smell foul!

[MUSH]

Met this goyl last night

[CRUTCHY]

Move your elbow!