001 | Describing the Cosmos..

𖤐 𓈒࣪  ᭡ ˖  001 ! chapter one
describing the cosmos
  ִֶָ  ࣪ ៹  ☄️

𖤐 𓈒࣪  ᭡ ˖  001 ! chapter onedescribing the cosmos  ִֶָ  ࣪ ៹  ☄️

⋆★⋆

          LONELY.

If Peter Quill had to describe space using only a single word, "lonely" would sum up years worth of experience in travelling the whole of the universe, running errands for douchebags and earning currencies that could only ever buy him cheap thrills. He's gone from 'horrified of the unknown' to 'curious for more' to 'homesick' to 'bored', which was but another spiral right into 'homesick', at the dark bottom of which he dwelled since.

He's seen enough of this vast universe that nothing could impress him anymore, that nothing could compare in his mind with the exaggerated glory behind a cinema night on Earth. Melancholy caught roots in his heart and everything about his life was but a homage to that sickness spreading in his body, lurking in his veins, choking the life out of him in a grave silence; for he could not whimper, not cry. Sometimes, it felt as if his glands were faulty, but now Peter could put his hand over his heart and laugh: or maybe I'm just too tough to cry.

Whoever said space was better than Earth surely never accounted for just how absolutely filthy every single corner of the universe actually was. Quill could in fact bet that given any one random planet, if he visited it right there and then, he'd find it held its own thieves, murderers, psychotic killers and sanity-questionable monsters.

No, Peter Quill has seen enough to know it's not the place itself that makes being somewhere worth it; it's the people.

Which is perhaps exactly why lately, he could only ever say space is a synonym to 'lonely'.

"This is a new level of stupid," Rocket grumbled in his chin, sinking further back into his cockpit seat to Peter's right. His exaggerated sigh forced the latter to look away from the direction in which they were flying and reiterate: lonely.

"Knock it off," Gamora hit the back of Rocket's seat with her foot. "This isn't about you."

"Right," Drax agreed, tone flat, back straight and stiff. "It's Quill's birth day. Not Rocket's. Not even Drax's or Gamora's."

"I am Groot," Groot cooed from Drax's shoulder.

"If Quill wants to go to this... dance place for his birthday, no matter how inaccessible and far away from our current mission, then so be it," Gamora continued her comment to Rocket, whose eye roll was as loud as her glare... Peter could feel Gamora's piercing stare causing a burn on the back of his neck, making him feel ever the more ashamed for wanting to do something for himself. It wasn't even one day. It was just one night. A couple of hours. But he's only felt guilt since he loaded in the new coordinates.