CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

The group remained in the woods to let the night pass since some of them got a few injuries because of the blast wave

The group remained in the woods to let the night pass since some of them got a few injuries because of the blast wave. Daesu on his thigh and Suhyeon on her left forearm from gashing herself after she was thrown on the ground. It was an enormous and sharp rock that she cursed at. But it’s not really painful as Daesu’s.

Just minutes later, Suhyeok, Suhyeon, and Namra went back to the woods after On-jo wanted to check the construction site.

They are currently on the go from getting out of the woods while Wujin and Suhyeok were carrying Daesu as he is stumbling to walk because of his injury while the ripped left sleeve from Hyunjae’s uniform is on Suhyeon’s arm, to stop her gash from bleeding.

The anxious man did not leave her side after that. And honestly, Suhyeon is not complaining.

“We intended to hike this very fucking mountain, didn’t we? Last year, wasn’t it?”

Suhyeon heard Hyunjae muffled, a grin appearing on her face. “Yeah,” She answered, “I remember it was Gyeongsu who instigated the plan. He genuinely wanted to do it. Can you imagine, he was very persistent in asking us to go to this mountain.”

“He used to ask us every day that it became so irritating.”

“And we’re finally doing it,” Suhyeon whispered, stealing glimpses at the man beside her.

“But he’s not with us anymore.”

Gyeongsu was a good friend to Hyunjae. They might tease each other a lot, but at some point, his now—dead friend was one of the reasons that made living in Hyosan bearable as it doesn’t seem like a punishment anymore. “But at least we get to do this. Hiking. For the sake of Gyeongsu.” He added, as warm liquid welled up in his russet-coloured eyes.

“As if it was Gyeongsu’s last wish.”

“Gyeongsu’s death wish.”

“How are you feeling right now, Hyunjae?” The man swivelled his head, to glance at the young woman’s reaction standing beside him.

Hyunjae was a bit surprised by Suhyeon’s sudden curiosity. “And I want you to tell me the truth. No more “I’m doing fine’, ‘I’m alright’ bullshit, just the truth. Your truth.” Suhyeon added.