Chapter 2 - Feral Flight

Word Count: 3350

Walking through the forest, Quaritch and his team walked, guns raised in defense as they carefully stepped over tree trunks and foliage.

Whoops and chirps sounded out all around and the marines stayed on guard, ears twitching and pointing at every noise, listening to the animals around travelling through the forest.

In front, Quaritch walked, a tablet in his palm as he scanned the area, trying to find any trace of a settlement, anything that would indicate any nearby Na'vi.

"Hold up, something's ahead." Speaking lowly, Quaritch stopped, the marines behind him falling in as they carefully looked around. His tail flicking in anticipation, the colonel read the scan again, once more seeing the heat signature, causing him to scan the foliage directly in front of him.

"It's a Yerik."

His ears angling down, Quaritch looked behind himself to the small human in the middle. "What?"

"Your 'something'. It's a yerik." Spider repeated, his arms crossed as he defiantly looked up at the Recombinant. "A hexapede? Ever heard of it?"

Squinting his eyes, Quaritch's tail flicked in annoyance. "Alright, smart guy." Dropping his gun down, he turned around before bending down, placing one hand on his knee as he looked down at his former selves' son. "How about instead of being a know-it-all after the fact, you actually say it before we could potentially be mauled or attacked, hm?"

"Trust me, if something hunted you, you wouldn't even know it was coming before it is too late."

"Try me."

Annoyed, Spider retaliated and the two continued to argue back and forth defiantly, yet none were aware of the eyes on them from above.

-

Sitting in the tree, you observed the Na'vi below you.

Not Na'vi – Dream walkers.

Their guns raised and their voices and footsteps loud, you'd heard them coming a mile away, giving you plenty of time to climb out of sight. And now you sat, looking down in concern and anger.

Flexing your hand on the handle of your knife, your thoughts raced while your eyes stayed firmly focused on the group. You recognized the kid in the middle, how could you not - Spider had practically become a part of the Omaticaya clan despite his origin. So to now see him walking between the dream walkers, every protective instinct in you flared.

"Alright, keep moving." Hearing the male in front's words, you slowly raised up from your squat, carefully and quietly moving with the group as they traversed the forest.

They were looking for the clan, there was no question to it.

Breathing softly, you stepped over the large branches of the trees, taking your bow off of your back without a sound, your eyes hard and cold.

Just a short distance away, your sister's children were playing and you couldn't let these dream walkers get any closer.

Breathing slowly, you expelled your breath before drawing your bowstring back, aiming at the man in front. Keeping your arrow straight and still, you clenched your jaw, making sure to not have a chance of hitting Spider.

"Y/N!"

Your ears shooting up at the shout of your name, your eyes were wide in alarm, the young voice making your blood run cold.

Below, you watched as the soldiers perked up, their guns quickly raised to the right, where No'gue's voice came from.

"Steady!" The one in front called out, his own gun up while Spider ran in front of him, jumping up and grabbing onto the underside of the firearm, trying to pull it down.