Chapter 1 - The Observer

"You needed me, masters?" Cora squeaked nervously . She had been called to the Council Chambers for the first time, and it didn't help that Master Yoda did nothing but stare at her, seemingly directly into her soul. There was another Jedi Master there as well, not a Council member, but he was accompanied by a padawan. The older man had watched some of her recent training sessions, but she had never seen his padawan before.
     "Youngling," Yoda began. Cora snapped to attention. "Your first mission, we have for you."
    Then Mace Windu began to speak. "You will be observing an upcoming mission as an ambassador for the Chancellor. You leave tomorrow morning at 9:00. Hangar 3."
   "Thank you Masters," Cora said, and bowed her head politely, as Master Yaddle had taught her. She felt her knees tremble, but she hoped the Masters would forgive her nerves. She looked up, and made eye contact with the wise old Master Yoda. Her eyes widened and she scurried out of the chambers.

*The Next Morning*

    Cora sat, alone, on a supply crate near the shuttle. She had gotten up extra early to make a good impression on the older Jedi. After a few minutes, the Master strolled by, closely followed by his very eager padawan. He spoke with the hangar manager before turning to look at her. Cora smiled awkwardly, and waved. The padawan rolled his eyes.
   "Do we really have to bring along the youngling, Master" he asked. Cora could barely hear it, and yet her chest stung with hurt. "What good will she do anyway?"
   "We will follow the orders of Master Yoda," the older man said benevolently. He made direct eye contact with her. Something told Cora he knew she could hear them. "Besides, I can sense this is the correct path," he finished, and gave her a slight smile. She smiled back.
   He turned back to his Padawan. "And you don't say one harsh word to that little girl, do you understand?"
"Yes Master."
   He then began to walk toward her, with his padawan obediently in tow. Cora could tell he was a bit annoyed. The Master knelt down in front of her, and said "Hello little one. What is your name?"
   "I- I'm Cora. Cora Valmara," She told him, getting up from the crate.
   The greying master reached out his hand, as if to shake hers. She took it. "My name is Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is my Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi."