v. the road trip

" aye, there's a man in the back of the car "

______________________________________

I finish putting on my shoes and get my backpack. I walk downstairs and see Da drinking his tea, Olivia and Juliet eating cornflakes and Cooper making his breakfast.

"Mornin'." I smile. Cooper furrows his brows at me.

"You're rather chipper." He tells me making me shrug. "Why're you excited?"

"Well, it's the annual road trip." I state making him nod.

"Ah." Cooper nods.

"Eat your toast, Denny. Then get on." Da says making me nod. I sit down at the table and eat my toast before leaving the house.

I see the band marching down the street and I salute them before walking into the Quinn's house. "Mornin' Quinn's." I smile.

"Mornin' Denny!" Orla smiles making me smile back.

"Mornin' Deidre." I smile at Michelle's mum.

"Mornin', Denny, listen, do you have an issue with James going with you on this road trip?" Deidre asks.

"He's comin'?" I ask as I look at Mary making her shrug.

"I'm just not sure we'll have room in the caravan." Mary says.

"It'll be grand. Us men can camp outside." Joe says making me raise my eyebrows.

"Oh, god." Gerry mutters.

"Run and ask Jim across the road for the lend of his tent." Joe says to Erin.

"Well, thanks a million, Mary. I owe you one. If you want our Ryan to sort that gable wall of yours out, you've only to ask." Deidre says.

I raise my eyebrows and Erin gives me half of her toast. "What's wrong with our gable wall?" Mary asks.

While the adults go outside to look at the gable wall, my friends and I all go across the road to Jim's house.

I stands next to Orla as Jim shows us how his soundproof window works making Orla's eyes go wide.

"I tell you, girls, the double glazing, it'll change your life." Jim says.

"Yes, as I said, it's, it's very impressive, Jim, but we're actually in a bit of a hurry, so if we could just grab that tent -" Erin gets cut off by Jim opening the window again.