Need to Know About Servicing Tapered Roller Bearings

It would be difficult to find a free-spinning wheel capable of carrying any magnitude of load that does not use a greasable tapered roller bearing. They can be found on trailers, vehicle front wheels, and farm equipment non-drive wheels. Tapered roller bearings perform well in applications with high radial and thrust forces. To deal with axial forces, they are usually used in pairs (inner and outer bearings on a wheel). They also distribute the load to the roller surface more evenly.

Tapered roller bearings, when properly maintained, will provide excellent service and long life, often outlasting the machine to which they are attached. All you need are the following hints to keep them going!

Preload, grease, and cleanliness are the secrets to a long wheel bearing lifespan. Despite their inherent connections, these three areas need to be looked at independently. The bearing grease cap on a trailer or waggon is frequently either missing or damaged. The grease cover serves the dual aim of preventing grease that would liquefy due to heat from escaping and preventing dirt and moisture from the bearing that would hasten wear.

If the grease melts, it will be kept in the cap and may flow back into the rollers after the grease hardens and the wheel is turned. The grease cap should be of good integrity, fully seated against the hub, and snugly fit.

Wheel bearings require maintenance. This requires removal, chemical cleaning, and time for natural drying. After carefully checking for wear, pitting, or discolouration, the roller, cage, rings, and race must be repacked with the appropriate grease.

A bearing-packing tool is the quickest and simplest technique to lubricate a wheel bearing. The grease is forced up into the cavities between the rollers, cage, and inner and outer rings using either hand pressure or air pressure. Grease will be driven out from between the rollers and cage and extruded on the side where the rollers contact the inner and outer rings if the packing is done properly.

Which Grease Brand Do You Use?

Using the right grease on a tapered bearing is also crucial. I dislike bearing packers that are fed with a grease gun because of this. The majority of grease cartridges contain universal grease, which lacks the chemical characteristics needed for a wheel bearing to operate at 75 mph for long distances.

Furthermore, some manufacturers specify a certain wheel bearing grease. I am aware that a special composition is necessary for Ford and many other brands. Typically, each type of wheel bearing grease has a distinctive hue. There are wheel bearing greases in black, red, the conventional honey colour, and possibly a few other colours.

Setting Preload

Setting the proper preload on the bearing is where most bearing maintenance fails. This task is crucial. Due to the taper of the rollers, if you make the bearing too tight, you will drive it into the race.

Follow these steps to set preload.

· Install the inner and outer bearings after completely greasing them.

· While rotating the wheel or hub 10 times, tighten the adjustment nut. To place the bearing and let the grease to settle, do as such.

· Just enough nut loosening will eliminate all preload. Now, it will be almost finger-tight. Tighten the preload adjustment's one nut castellation while rotating the wheel. Check if there is any free play by spinning the wheel a few more times. If there is any, tighten the nut a little bit more before checking again. If everything is in order, attach the locking nut, cotter pin, grease cap, and you're done.

If a wheel bearing ever needs to be replaced, you must also install the new race that comes with it. The old one will be worn to the wear pattern of the failed bearing.

https://adarshbearings.com/product/bearings/