i. the nunnery

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Must you always talk?" The brunette snapped, Gisela breathed out a laugh when the abbess scowled at them before walking away.

"Poor little Lulu, always being pestered. You look like Hel warmed over." Gisela teased and sat down next to her in the grass propping her chin in her open palm.

"You know how to flatter a lady, don't you, Gisela?" Luna groaned out, and the other girl's smirk widened, and shrugged. "I had more nightmares, I fear my freedom will be taken soon." Luna lets her eyes drift closed and there's a moment of silence before she hears the other girl shift beside her. There's a faint touch on her arm that turns into a full grip, then a gentle tug. Luna's eyes flutter open to see Gisela has turned so she's leaning her back against the tree, fingers enclosed around her bicep as she pulls Luna towards her.

"What are you doing?" Luna's brow furrows in confusion.

"Giving you somewhere to sleep," Gisela answers bluntly. When Luna's stare remains empty, the princess pats her lap, when she doesn't move Gisela just gives another light tug to the smaller's arm until she reluctantly raises her head. Gisela maneuvers her until she's lying back with her head pillowed in the girl's lap.

It leaves Luna looking up at the other girl, giving her a clear view of the princess's pretty features. Her heart flutters as Gisela looks down with that easy smile, and she has to close her eyes against the image to stop herself from doing something sacrilegious.

She takes a breath, murmuring a soft, "Do you think Uhtred will come for you soon?"

The sun shining down on them is irritating, the light harsh even against her closed eyelids. Gisela curls her shoulders so that she's leaning over Luna slightly, and it creates a heavenly shade. It's heightened when Luna tilts her face towards Gisela's stomach, leaning into her. Luna keeps her eyes closed, knowing the feelings it would stir if she opened them. She can deal with this much, she decides, breathing in the other's comforting scent and letting it soothe her aching mind.

Then, Luna feels a light touch on her hair.

"Yes, he will find his way back to me. That I am sure of." She stiffens as Gisela's fingers slide lightly through the strands. They start up a gentle rhythm, brushing through it, now and again gently massaging her scalp, and she can't help but sink into the feeling. Even while telling herself she shouldn't, she presses closer, suppressing a shiver as Gisela's other hand comes to rest on her thigh. She swallows thickly, trying to ignore the heat blossoming from the touch. She shouldn't fall for the princess. When Uhtred comes to her rescue she knows Gisela will leave her in the dust to be with the man, but it's hard not to fall when she's so damn beautiful.

Luna has no idea how long they lie there. She feels like she really could sleep, going completely lax under the princess's ministrations. She allows herself to close that last little bit of distance, resting her temple against Gisela's stomach, nuzzling into her. The gesture's rewarded with a stroke of her cheek before the hand moves back into her brunette hair.

"I will miss you, Gisela." Luna mumbles and sighs when Gisela smiles down at her.

"No, you will not. How can you miss me when we take you with us? Uhtred tends to fall in love at first sight. You could be ours if you chose it."

Luna's about to pick up the courage to say something or reach up to tangle her fingers with those on her thigh when a voice breaks through her peaceful state.

"Is she dead? The death of a princess would damn us all, I'm afraid." Trust the annoying nun named Maise to have the worst fucking timing. Luna blows out a breath and looks over at the newcomer with an expression that she hopes conveys annoyance.

"Sadly, no." The brunette answers bitterly, and Gisela flicks her cheek.

"Thankfully, no." Gisela answers. Maise grins at the interaction and Luna glares at her, suddenly regretting befriending the num. Instead of scaring the nun off as intended, Maise's grin only widens. She disappears from her line of sight as the nun rounds the tree to sit on the other side of them. Luna looks back up at Gisela only to find she's no longer looking at her, head turned to look over the table at the nun. Luna almost wants to whine at the loss of attention. Then Gisela's hand makes its way back to her hair, combing through it absently, and a happy feeling settles in her chest.

Luna becomes almost grateful for the nun's presence soon after that. The two of them have struck up a quiet conversation, and the comforting lull of Gisela's voice is almost enough to put her to sleep this time. It's once again ruined by the shrill sound of the bell, and this time she whines at the noise. Gisela presses her hand over Luna's ears, gently stroking her cheek with her thumb as she does so.

"Don't go." Luna begs, when Gisela goes to move, looking up at the said girl with sad, puppy eyes. The latter smiles down at her, brushing through her hair one last time.

"I'd stay, I would, but I'm trying to do my job." Luna sighs, she can't find the strength to argue.

"Fine," She huffs. "Go be a good nun."

"Glad I have your permission, Lulu." She answered smiling. She tugs Luna into a sitting position until she can slide out from under her, Gisela pulls her into a one-armed hug, dropping a chaste kiss on the top of Luna's head before lowering her back into a lying position on the grass. Luna lies frozen as the girl bids Maise goodbye before heading back towards the nunnery's entrance. Luna stares after her, lips parted, the spot on her head tingling, the nightmares suddenly forgotten.

Fuck.