xxii. break the curse

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Finan." Uhtred says as he walks up to his friend, Uhtred lightly grazes his fingers over the head of her daughter and smiles when the baby holds his finger. Finan looked at his friend and daughter with a soft expression and shared a knowing look with Luna.

"Lord."

"Have the priests unload half of what they've taken. Send them back to Alfred. You will ride with them." Uhtred demanded and Finan sighed, Uhtred gave Luna an apologetic smile when she huffed. He knew how stressful this was for her to be traveling back and forth with two newborns.

"All the way to Winchester?"

"I will follow and find you." Uhtred promised them both, he hesitated as he cradled her cheek. He placed his forehead against hers and she gave him a small smile.

"And what of Skade?" She questioned her past lover.

"She stays with me. I will find you in Winchester. I must be there. Unseen." Uhtred said softly.

"And if Alfred decides to take me hostage?"

"He will have you watched, nothing more. You need only drink ale and be with your woman." Uhtred tells him with a smile, she could see the pain in his eyes when he wanted to say our woman.

"I can do that. We all need a good woman!" Finan shouted when Uhtred walked away, a personal jab at his friend's stupidity.

"My men are free men still. They'll travel with you to Winchester, ensure your safe return." Uhtred tells the Bishop as he walks to his horse, Luna is perched on the horse with Sihtric, and Finan was fighting back a chuckle when she began to doze off. The twins were asleep in their basket warm and cozy, Hild offered to be in the carriage with them to give Luna a chance to take a nap. Luna was against the idea at first but her husbands told her the Abbess could be trusted.

"I have a guard. And Wessex is not a land of banditry." The Bishop claimed.

"Priests and Ealdorman aside, you should never refuse the offer of a sword, Bishop Erkenwald." Finan tells the holy man and he leaned against his horse while he raised a hand to lay on her thigh.

"Is it your intention to remain at Coccham?"

"It is not. My lord's intention is to rule at Winchester." Skade adds as she stands next to Uhtred and the Dane-slayer sends her a dirty look. Luna glared at the seer and fought the jealousy that built up inside, he was no longer her man. He was free to bed whoever he wanted, Sihtric must have sensed it as he kissed her temple.

"Is that right, lord?" Finan asked sardonically.

"My business is my own." Uhtred claims.

"And your children?"

"Are Christian now." Uhtred said through gritted teeth.

"I will ensure they are cared for." Hild tells them reassuringly.

"If it pleases you."

"I will bring my wife to Mercia, lord. Meet you there." Sihtric says with a grin from where he is perched on his horse. Luna smiled at his excitement, he loved making it known to everyone that they were married, as did Finan.

"What is happening? Why is she not dead?" Osferth said as he pulled Finan to the side. Luna hummed quietly and relaxed into Sihtric's chest as she listened to her Irish lover and their unofficial adopted son.

"She has beauty and power, Osferth, over men who believe is their own reputation." Finan claims with a frown, he smacked her foot when she kept nudging his rib.

"But she is evil. He had promised her death." Osferth asked in confusion and glanced at her for an explanation, she just shrugged.

"I am no man, Os. I do not know what your gender thinks." She said casually and grinned when Finan kissed the back of her hand when he grabbed it.

"Pray for him, he'll need it." Finan said as he nudged the monk. Osferth frowned at his friend as he followed to help unload the food that was taken, Luna felt Sihtric glide one of his hands down to her stomach and the other resting on her thigh.

He kissed her neck lightly and she sighed into the gentleness of it, she knew the Saxon priests were glaring at their display of affection but she didn't care. They would be riding out soon and the saddles were not comfortable for much, Sihtric nuzzled his face against her neck and held her close.

"Thank you, my moon. You have given us beautiful children and with your permission more in the future." She smiled at the Dane and kissed him.

"Perhaps, sooner rather than later. We have a lack of Irish children running around." He chuckled at her explanation.

"Gods, I hope they take after you. One Finan is enough." Sihtric huffed out as she cackled.