Citrus Sinensis (Sweet Oranges)

Please remember to vote! Push the star ⭐️ at the top or bottom to do so :)

Notes: The numbers on the side are Marcy and Anne's ages :)

___________________________________
Anne

5

Anne's first day of kindergarten consisted of tears rolling down her rosy cheeks while fidgeting with her purple and white shirt. The thought of this big new place scared her. Mr. Boonchuy proceeded with caution, looking over his shoulder to give his daughter a gentle smile from the driver seat.

Anne was already thirty minutes late because of the time it took Mr. and Mrs. Boonchuy to get her into the van. Mr. Boonchuy took a deep breath to calm himself before calming Anne. He wanted to be there for her to see her off on her first day. Both of Anne's parents wanted to be there, so they played a game of rock, paper, scissors, to see who would get to drop Anne off while the other set up the restaurant. He was nervous, not wanting to make her more upset than she already was. He stepped out of the van walking to the passenger side and slid the door open. Anne flinched at the sound.

"Sorry Bean." He held up his hand, as a gentle gesture of meaning no harm.

Anne looked at her dad's hand and over to the tan color building, he called school. The tears sat in her big brown eyes, " I don't want to go." She whispered into her hands.

"Knock, Knock." He smiled.

"Who's there?" She said in between sobs.

"Orange"

"Orange who?" Her sobs slowed down.

Her dad moved his hand that was behind his back holding up a bright, round orange that was sure to be filled with the sweetest juice. "Orange you glad to see me?" He said with a toothed smile.

Anne's sobs came to a full stop, replaced with laughter that was loud and full for a minute or two, allowing her tears to dry a bit. She reached for the orange and then her dad's hand.

He scooped her in his arms while he turned around to face the school. "Bean, if it gets too scary just tell the teacher to call us. We'll come get you."

"Promise?"

He nodded, "I promise." He placed her down in front of the double doors while opening one for her.

Anne walked in as her dad stood outside the room watching her with a gentle prayer that she'll be okay.

Anne walked over to a table, where a girl with raven hair and tiny high ponytails, wrapped in green scrunchy, sat. Anne watched them color with their tongue to the top of their lip. Anne saw the girl's crayon snap from pressing down so hard. The girl sighed, placing it down before her bright eyes finally met Anne's.

"Knock, Knock." Anne said as her little heart beat against her small chest with excitement.

"Who's there?" Marcy practically screamed, being equally excited to find out who was there .

Anne held out the same orange her dad gave her earlier with a grin. "Orange you glad to see me?"

Marcy tilted her head, before the laughter followed and more laughs and tears.

Anne laughed too before placing a hand over her heart. "Hi, I'm Anne." She got out through a giggle.

"Hiya, I'm Marcy." The little girl smiled kindly, while whipping her tears of joy. "Want to sit down?" She said shyly.

Anne nodded her head so fast and hard that her curls bounced over her shoulder, and in front of her face which made Marcy giggle more. Anne finally sat next to her new friend, placing the orange on the table in front of them. Marcy scooted the coloring book between her and Anne. She handed her the blue crayon while she kept the green one. The red one was still lying there broken but not forgotten.