The Reincarnation

It rained last night, as droplets spilled over the buds of flowers and birds shook their wings before their first flight of the day. In this early February morning, the world was strangely silent, as if holding its breath before the chaos that spring would bring. A gentle moist smell of the grass and dirt drifted in the air as I walked accros the stony path that stretched from my front door to the road. My sneakers squeaked on the wet stones as I put my earbuds in, blasting a new single from my favorite band.

The sun was barely peeking out from behind dark clouds when I pulled into the main parking lot of my campus. It was still pretty early and only a few cars were parked. I absentmindedly noticed the red camaro of my good friend Sam was already there. I was just turning to park closest to the parking lot exit when a sudden engine rev startled me. I turned to the sound and was shocked to see the familiar red car charging towards me at full speed. Sam's eyes seemed erratic and strangely wide, staring straight into mine, a disturbing smile stretched across her face. I barely had the time to raise my arms in a desperate attempt to save myself before a soul-wrenching scream erupted from within me and I blacked out.

--------------

Muffled voices and shuffling fabric roused me from a deep sleep as I struggled to open my eyes. My whole body felt numb and weak, I could barely feel the tingles on my fingertips and toes, the only sensations that reminded me of the existence of my limbs. My lids felt heavy and glued shut and my mouth seemed to move on its own. A low ringing in my ears was what finally forced me to crack open my eyes, taking a little time to adjust.

I was laying on my side, staring out wooden bars into a dimly lit room framed by light rays streaming through half-closed curtains. Had I been captured into jail after my accident ?

The rectangular room was softly illuminated star-shaped fairy-lights hanging from the ceiling and across the walls. The curtains that I could see from my low vantage point looked heavy and velvety in a rich burgundy color. A double door probably led outside the room into the house, while two more simple ones stood on opposite sides.

Struggling to move my arms, I cried out in frustration. A soft and high-pitched cry startled me, and I looked around for where the sound originated form. No one else was in the room. I shook my head, surprised by its weight and went back to stretching out my hands, staring intently at my hand when it reached my eyesight. It was plump and small, my fingers short and weak, the nails barely visible. In disbelief, I somehow found strength within me to flip over, my face warm at the effort, and managed to crawl to the bars. A mirror stood against the far wall, a small baby staring back at me through its reflection.

I froze, losing my balance as my arms grew weak. Falling on my butt not so softly, I kept my eyes on the mirror. I'm...a baby ?! A freaking new-born at that ?!!

Something definitely wasn't right here. I vividly remembered being run over by one of my best friends in our campus parking lot. How had I gone back to being a baby ?

Wait.

I hadn't gone back to a new-born state. This room was unfamiliar and so big it could probably fit my family's entire appartement easily. There was no way I would've been born in such a luxurious place.

What happened then ?

Had I taken possession of someone's body while my soul wandered in the mortal world after I was killed ? Did I reincarnate into my next life while retaining my past life's memories ? Maybe this was all a cruel joke made by a demon to torture me in Hell ?

My mind was obviously greatly fatigued and I barely reacted when an adult, a tall woman with olive skin and dark hair braided over her shoulder appeared in front of the baby cradle. She looked surprised to see me and said something in a language I couldn't understand. I tried to speak but no other sound except helpless cries came out of my mouth. The woman reached inside and effortlessly picked me up, putting me against her chest and patting my back. I could feel the deep rumble of her voice as she hummed an unknown melody. My carrier stepped out of the room through the double doors and as expected, I found myself glancing curiously at various paintings and statues guarding a long hallway framed by floor-to-ceiling windows on one side. My eyes widened at the sight of a gigantic forest stretching out beyond the glass, distant mountains the only proof that the forest wasn't endless.