just one taste

Pen slowed her stride, suddenly aware of a hum in the air. 

A few seconds later, she felt a sudden flush as the vision of a certain vampire filled her head.

She could plainly see he had carelessly thrown on a black silk robe that hung open, exposing his chest and stomach, long legs stretched out before him, calves and thighs bunching as he shifted. 

She paused a moment to decide if she was grateful or irritated at the table in front of him, blocking the rest of her view. 

Her eyes drifted to his face, noting the dark stubble scattered across his jaw.  It attracted attention to that mouth rather than drawing it away.  His hair was a mess. Her fingers inched to bury themselves in the thick waves to bring them back into order. 

Her vision was sharp enough to see that his eyes were bright, and the tension seemed to have dropped from his frame.  She smiled, satisfied at his first wish successfully completed. 

She sat, her eyes closed, closely studying him as he dug into the food in front of him. 

She silently willed him to summon her.  Any reason would do.  Surely he had questions, or was curious or even wanted to thank her. 

She groaned at that last thought.  When would she stop being so naïve? She never learned that others did not have a heart the same as hers, and it constantly left her hurt.

That thought brought her back to cold reality. No matter how pretty he was or how good it felt to touch him or how heated his thoughts were in his dreams, he was off limits for her.

She listed the reasons why.  He was a vampire. He was royalty, even if he refused to act like it. His mother was her client, or was he, it was rather confusing.

Finally, her task was to lead him to his mate and family.

That alone was her goal.

That last thought had her moving again, away from the vision, away from the direction of the carelessly beautiful man now throwing off the black silk to step into a steaming shower.

She was so far beneath his notice for every one of those reasons. 

Then she belatedly added one, perhaps the greatest hurdle and deepest hurt. 

She was a wish bringer.  She granted wishes. She handed out Happily Ever Afters.  She would never get one of her own.

She did not have much time to dwell on those thoughts as she was called away for another need.

Thankfully,  that wish was simpler and took her far out of reach of the gorgeous man just now stepping out of the shower in all his glory.  It was a good thing she had to address this pony thing, or she feared she would have been unable to resist the temptation to pop in just to make sure he was ok.

The truth was right there in her vision. He was, in every sense of the term, fine.

Jin ignored the tingle that skittered across his back as he stood looking in the mirror. His mind was already set on the tasks ahead of him. 

As he began to shave, he briefly wondered if his deep rest was due to fairy magic.  He shook all those thoughts away as they veered dangerously close to curiosity about the creature. 

That would lead him to seek answers, and he had no intention of ever having any contact with her again.