12. Miserable

I got up from the sofa and headed back to the kitchen. This conversation never goes well. I spent years getting away from this man and his comparisons, I am not about to subject myself to one after so long.

"Sit back down, miserabile bastardo!" He commanded.

I stopped in front of the kitchen island and turned to him. "Keep your voice down so you don't wake my son."

I got rid of the bottle, then headed upstairs, with him hot on my trail.

We entered my study. On instinct, I locked the door to make sure no one eavesdrops on us.

He started: "I don't want to-"

"Shh" I hushed him, and walked around the room to confirm that we are alone.
When I was satisfied with my findings, or lack thereof, I returned to my seat. Mio Padre was already sitting opposite of me.

I placed my hands on my desk, looking as intimidating as possible: "Choose your next words wisely, Lorenzo"

He scoffed. "Is that how you respect your father? What is wrong with your generation huh? I am the most feared man in Italy-"

"Well, In case you haven't checked your location, this isn't Italy. This is Spain, my territory." I rested my back against my swivel chair.

His expression softened a little bit. "This is not where you belong, figlio. Come home and succeed me. Your brother would have been so happy to take my place"

"Maybe you haven't noticed, padre, but I am not my brother, Antonio. You made it clear from the beginning that he was your favorite. I am not interested in taking his place in your life"

He stayed silent for a minute or two, observing me, watching me... One of the tactic he uses to get people to break.
"Patrizio, you and I know that the only reason you joined the family business was to find out who killed Antonio. But you have lost your touch. You are more interested in a worthless woman than taking care of your family."

"Worthless? For your sake, I hope you are not referring to Mira. She and I were doing just fine on our own, until you came and dragged us into this spider's web."

His expression returned to their usual harsh forms which didn't surprise me at all. He got up from the chair and headed for the exit.

But he stopped a few feet away from the door and faced me. "I feel sorry for you, figlio. You will be so heartbroken when you find out the atrocities that your wife committed. Then, you will stop worshipping her like a saint"

"What are you talking about?"

He smirked. "I need all your latest findings regarding Antonio's murder, only then will I release that piece of information." He turned to leave when I...

"Wait."

He returned to his chair with a triumphant smirk on his lips.

I brought out a file from my drawer and placed it in front of him. He went through them.

"What?!" He exclaimed.

"You saw it right. Your beloved Antonio was having an affair with Gina, Federico's daughter. Your sworn enemy"

I have never seen my father look so shocked. He picked up a photograph of Antonio and Gina meeting secretly at a diner. They were holding hands and staring into each other's eyes, and smiling.
It is obvious that whoever took the photo did so without their notice.

Mio padre's anger was shown by the lines on his forehead. "Damn you, Federico! If I find out you had a hand in my son's death, I will crush you."

"I gave you what you asked for, Lorenzo, now, tell me what you know about Mira's so-called 'atrocities'. And make sure you have evidence to back it up"

He brought out a pile of envelopes from his suit's inner pocket and handed them to me, then he left my study.

I opened one of the envelopes.
It contained a letter dated five years back. I read it, and before I knew it, I was reading the rest of the letters in the other envelopes.

I felt betrayed, deceived, hurt, enraged...

"This cannot be true," I argued with myself. "But these are her handwriting".

I needed a drink so badly, but I tried to stop myself. The last time I developed an alcohol addiction, I had to stay away from Gio for months.

I eventually caved in to temptation, and brought out a bottle of scotch I hid for a rainy day, and poured myself a glass.

I downed that one glass, but it wasn't enough. I needed more. I drank the entire bottle, but it wasn't enough. No. I took out another bottle and finished its content. Let's just say, I like to over-prepare for rainy days.
At some point, I lost count of the bottles of alcohol I had consumed so far. My head was spinning, but I couldn't stop myself.

Suddenly, the door was opened. I looked to see who it was through my hazed vision.

It was the maid, Hannah, I think. She saw me in my state and ran to help me. "Capo, What is the matter? Why are you like this?"

I waved her off. "Don't worry, you can go" I got up but almost fell down.

She held onto me and helped me get back in my seat. "I won't leave you. I can't leave you, my beloved capo."  Her voice was so loud in my head, I felt like my head will explode from her talking.

"Beloved?" I repeated.
Despite my struggling to stay awake, when I heard her say those words, I tried to stay as sober as I could.

Her face came closer to mine, inch by inch, until I could feel her breath on my skin. And for the first time, I noticed her baby blue eyes...they glimmered in the light as she stared lovingly into my eyes.

Then, she kissed me.

I pushed her off. "Leave, I am warning you."

"I won't tell anyone, I promise." She kissed my neck and my chest despite my efforts to push her away. Either she is freakishly strong for a maid, or my arms are weak because I am drunk, or both. Remind me to never drink to stupor again.

"Hannah, g-go away. I will-I will fire you..."
I was gradually losing consciousness but I could feel her hands all over my body.

The face that came to my mind was  Veronica's. Her brown hair, those bright brown eyes, her fierce and sassy personality. She is opposite to Mira in every way.

"Veronica Russo" These were the last words I remember myself say, before I lost consciousness.