13. The angel of death

Veronica 's Point of View

I was mad at Patrizio for accusing me of hurting his son on purpose, but I did feel guilty for what happened to Gio.

I waited patiently for them to return, till it was late at night. They finally arrived, I was happy to see my little Gio healthy again. I took care of him just like I'd take care of my Bella.

I pray that wherever she is, someone is taking care of her too.

Patrizio apologized to me and I forgave him instantly. But I wasn't in the mood to talk, or go back and forth with him. So I headed for our bedroom, hoping he'll join me soon.

After two hours, I became uneasy and decided to go look for him.

I walked downstairs and found his parents at the dinning table, playing a game of chess.

What's it with this family and chess?

"Buongiorno, Mamma e Papà." I tried to sound like Mira, maybe. "Sai doro posso trovare Patrizio?" I asked.

His mother frowned. "It is 'sai dove', and not 'sai doro'!! You can't even speak our language properly. Shame on you!" She narrowed her eyes at me. "And the answer is no, I don't know where he is."

"Okay, Grazie" I turned to leave. What do you know, Mira, not everyone liked you.

"Wait" She called from behind me. I turned to her and she continued: "Next time, if you are going to try to deceive us, at least don't forget to wear your contact lenses"

That was when I remembered that I had taken those off while getting ready for bed. "Uh, Mamma, the thing is..."

"Save it!" She barked. "Whoever taught you about Mira did not do a good job."

She walked toward me and stood in front of me. Her sharp almond eyes were intimidating, but I didn't waver, even though I wanted to crawl under a table somewhere.

Suddenly, I felt her fingers around my neck. She tightened her grip and choked me without remorse. I could literally see the angel of death in her eyes. She brought me to my knees with every moment she tightened her fingers around my neck. I could feel life gradually leaving my body.

"Please" I managed to force out through my narrowed windpipe.

She brought her face close to my ear and whispered: "Even when she was alive, I never liked Mira. So if you think that having her face will make me like you, then you're highly misinformed. Are we clear?"

I nodded as vigorously as possible.

She finally released her grip, and pushed me to the floor. I fell with a thump and hurt my shoulder joint. I massaged my neck while coughing really hard.

Patrizio's dad didn't bother to stop her, he only watched.

I crawled away from the terrible-two and scurried out of the dinning room immediately. As if someone was chasing after me, I ran upstairs in fear. I ran through the empty hallway and came to a stop when I noticed that the light in Patrizio's study was still on.

I stood in front of the door, gently turned the doorknob and pushed it open.

The sight I met stirred up a pot of rage inside of me.

"Hannah!" I screamed at the stupid maid saddling Patrizio who didn't seem conscious. I noticed the empty bottles on the table and the floor

She stood up abruptly and turned to me. There was no fear in her eyes for her evil action. "What are you doing here? Get out, you shameless harlot!"

"You call me shameless, but you're the one trying to take advantage of an unconscious man. How desperate can one be? Now, get out!!"

I grabbed her hair in my fist and dragged her out of the office. I pushed her out into the corridor and locked the door. I was glad I got here just in time.

I confirmed that Patrizio is not in any danger. Then I picked up the telephone and called security. Leo picked up, I asked him to come. He was here in no time and we helped Patrizio to his room.

Leo placed his unconscious boss on the bed and helped him take off his shoes. I thanked him and he went away. I locked the door and went to Patrizio. I had never seen him this drunk ever. He was in pretty bad shape...

What might have caused him to drink so damn much?

I pecked his forehead and was about to leave when he grabbed of my hand. I stayed with him, caressing his forehead and watching him sleep.

"Mira" He said her name in his sleep. My heart sunk.

I will always be reminded of her, he will never see me as Veronica, my true self. Never.

I pulled my hand out from his hold and went to sleep on my side of the bed. I could not sleep, because of the way he called her name at interval. I hate myself for letting things get this far. I should never have fallen for him, but I don't know when it happened. I couldn't fight it.

He will never want me and that hurt my fragile heart. I tried to force myself to sleep, and while I was doing that. Patrizio turned in and placed his arm on me.

He drew close. "Baby" He cooed and made me turn to him. "I need you" He whispered. He started kissing my neck and his hands fondled my boobs.

I wanted him too, but he isn't in his right senses. What if he wakes up the next day and accuses me of one thing or the other? I pushed him away as this thought came to mind. I got up and was about to go sleep on the couch. "Veronica" He called.

I halted and watched him. Did he really call my name? I went to his bedside and sat beside him again. "Patrizio, I'm here"

He managed to open his eyes. "Mira betrayed me." Tears escaped the sides of his eyes.

"I'm so sorry"

"Let me hold you, please" He pleaded.

I just couldn't resist him. I lay next to him and he held me close to his body. The warmth from his skin started a fire inside of me. He wrapped his arms around me and stroke my hair with his right hand.
He slammed his lips against mine and kissed me like I have never been kissed before. His tongue reached every nook and cranny of my mouth and worsened the flame he ignited.

What are you doing to me, Patrizio?

Just as things were getting interesting, there was a loud bang on the door, and his mom's voice resounded from the other side. "Open this door right now, Veronica Russo! You STD-infected American hooker! Get your claws off my son!!!"