9: Izzy - Pretty awkward

Izzy waited at the canteen for Em. They had plans to study for a French test together under their favourite fig tree by the cricket nets. She crouched down to sit on a large tree root and pulled out her pink leather diary from her school bag. Unclipping the lock, she fully intended to write something but found herself mesmerized by a rainbow that had sprung up from the mist of the irrigation system on the adjacent field. She allowed herself to daydream for a while. After waiting ten minutes and with no sign of Em, she'd all but given up when she spotted Tal and Zara.

'She's not coming,' Zara said.

'She had an offer she couldn't refuse,' giggled Tal. 'She's gone...'

With one quick look, Zara shut Tal down.

'What do you mean, she's not coming?' Izzy asked. 'Where is she?'

Zara cleared her throat. 'It seems Em and Dom have decided to...(air quotes)... "do things couples do."

Tal collapsed into fits of giggles.

'Shut up, silly girl,' admonished Zara.

Tal's face darkened.

'I'm sorry. I don't understand,' said Izzy. 'They're not hooking up, are they?'

'Seems they are-as we speak,' said Tal.

'How did that happen?' Izzy asked, raising her eyebrows.

'With ease, apparently,' said Zara. 'Em threw herself at him after English class, and he took her up on her offer.'

'Simples.' Tal said. 'They've gone to the squash court...'

Izzy's jaw dropped.

A friend of Dom's, Zach Tompson, known to all as Tommo, chose this moment to edge up with an offer of biscuits. 'What's happening, ladies?' He took in Izzy's shocked expression. 'Ha!' he said. 'Something's up. I can tell. Spill?'

'Fuck off,' Zara chirped.

'Way harsh, man,' Tommo responded. 'What did I ever do to you?'

'You're poking your nose into our business,' Zara retorted, shooing him away.

Tommo sauntered off, glancing back at them over his shoulder. 'I'll get it out of you... you know I will!'

'So, the squash courts?' said Izzy regrouping, once Tommo was out of earshot.

'Yep,' confirmed Zara.

'That place is notorious.' Izzy said. 'I hope she knows what she's doing?'

'It's pretty silly if you ask me,' said Tal. 'This isn't Love Island. She'll get a rep. What the hell is she thinking?'

'Maybe, they'll just make out or something,' Izzy said.

'That's not what Em said...'

'Shut up, Tal,' Zara said, standing up. 'Its obvious Em has no idea what she's getting herself into. We need to be her friends and tell her it's not right. She's behaving like a lovesick wombat.'

Tal chuckled. 'Didn't know wombats fell in love.'

Zara rolled her eyes. The wind had changed and was blowing a light mist across them. They'd have to move away from the open field.

Izzy opened her diary and circled the date, followed by the words, Em and Dom hook up? She packed her school bag, and glanced at Zara in disbelief: 'So you think they're having sex, like right now?'

'That is what we think. Correct,' said Zara. 'She practically boasted about it.'

'Oh well, I guess there's not much we can do then,' said Izzy standing up to leave. 'It is pretty awkward, though.'

Zara sighed.

As they walked back towards class, Izzy pulled at the gold signet ring she wore around her neck, running it along the length of the chain and back again. She wished Em wasn't so impulsive. There were ways to go about things and throwing yourself at a boy you barely knew on school grounds, wasn't very smart.

'At least she's getting what she wants, right?' said Tal. 'We could just be happy for her. She's been after him for ages. Maybe now she'll ease up a bit.'

'This is Em we're talking about. She always gets what she wants,' said Zara. 'That's not the point.'

'He's only literally just broken up with Pascal,' said Izzy. 'I hope he's not using her - like a rebound or something?'

'You couldn't say, she didn't ask for it,' said Tal skipping along the pavement. 'Let's be honest; she puts herself out there in a big way.'

'Who knows with Em,' said Zara. Maybe she'll make it work, and they'll be like the new "it" couple.'

'I hope so,' said Izzy skeptically. 'Else, we'll be picking up the pieces.'

'Yeah, it won't be good,' said Tal.

'Literal roadkill!' agreed Zara.