prologue

~ Prologue: 2 months ago ~

Savannah had to have seriously done something fucked in her past life to the people controlling fate, or they were just real fucking sadists.

If you had asked Savannah the worst thing that could have gone wrong that week, she would have jokingly answered with her Mother dying or missing the French test that she had studied her ass off for.

And yet, Savannah Anderson found herself pressed into the hot leather of the car seat, leg bouncing up and down. Her French dictionary lay at her feet, the bookmarked pages ready to be opened and used.

The nurse beside her, Rachel, was quiet, her lips pressed together tightly, and her breaths quiet. It was the only sign the girl had gotten that the universe didn't fully hate her.

The car ride was far bumpier and longer than usual, the minutes flew by as the kilometers slowly ticked away. Bile was rising in the girl's stomach and dread was the tide pushing it up further. By the time the car pulled into the parking lot, her hands shook and her heart hammered forcefully in her throat.

She had always thought that deaths in movie scenes were dramatic, the fast-paced breathing, hysterical crying, and sprinting through white hospital floors.

The hospital was far from stereotypical, its dark yellow vinyl flaws echoed the tones of the seventies, and the tiles were an ugly pattern of brown and white like the women's bathroom in a pub. It had nothing of the rhythmic sadness you see in a movie scene. No sad music played in the background, and no nurse turned to smile at her sympathetically or held her hand as she walked into the room. Instead, the dull pop music from the local radio station sounded over the crazed atmosphere of waiting families. A nurse nodded to signify it was her turn and gave slow, purposeful directions on how to find her mother's room.

It was all surreal, Savannah felt her mind rejecting the possibility of what was happening.

"There's my girl." The woman whispered as her daughter approached the bent hospital bed that held her up. "Your hair has grown so quickly."

Three years ago, upon her first round of chemo, Savannah had shaved her hair in support of her mother. It now flowed past her shoulders, with the fiery thickness of a lion's mane. Her mothers had thinned drastically, and the second round of chemo had made sure it was never going to return.

"It's okay," The woman had assured. "You have more than enough hair for the both of us."

The looming presence of death had paled her mother and her throat seemed to be rubbed raw with sandpaper as she spoke. "Don't you dare think you can use this as an excuse out of schoolwork for the year?"

There was a crack in the girl's laugh, a tear fell down her cheek as another one swelled up in her eye, blurring the stern face of her mother. Even at the brink of death, Angela Anderson had found a way to reprimand her only child.

A soft smile, the kind you see painted onto ancient tapestry painfully rose on her mother's face. "You have your father's smile, you know."

Savannah stilled, she had heard little of the man with whom she shared her genes. A couple of old stories about the tourist's charismatic smile and bowing surfboard which he had hired.

"I was too young to remember anything." In any other situation, Savannah would have snorted at the memory. Too high was far more likely.

"He's coming down in a couple of days, to take you to America."

Her chest shuddered as she inhaled, rattling like a marble in a box. "He's a good man, and I'm glad you're gonna get to meet him."

She took another shuddering breath, and Savannah swore it rocked the whole building. The machine which looked over her, beeped erratically. Behind them, Rachel covered her mouth to muffle the sob that racked her own body.

"Savannah?" The girl didn't answer, her mind sailing far away from the room and all that was inside. "I love you."

Savannah barely got to respond, as the woman's hazel eyes slowly lost power and the world around the young girl seemed to sway out of view.

-

Her father never visited Australia and this is no exception, instead, he emails a plane ticket, and money for a passport. He picks Savannah up from the airport, with a greeting of an awkward hug and pitiful apology. Savannah isn't sure who he pities more, himself or her.

The car and ferry ride to her father's house is silent, Michael Williamson attempts to make conversation, asking small questions about the girl. Grief and anger have gagged her mouth and she is unable to respond.

By the time they've arrived, the awkward tension is almost moldable, her ass aches almost as much as her heart. The car, an old Toyota Corolla which picks up every bump on the road and eternally smells of cigarettes, has made the ride entirely more uncomfortable.

The house is an old, worn weatherboard building, it stands high on stilts that look incredibly unstable. Although, with the peeling paint on the house and rusted corrugated roof, it seems it's withstood the weight for many years. It's got many windows, all bordered by a basic wood, its paint-less features contrast the old yellow paint beside them.

"It's nothing much," Her Dad's voice was coated with the foreign American accent.

He holds the door open to her, and as she steps it finally occurs to Savannah that the Suburbia town in Inverloch Victoria is no longer home to her.

Michael gestures around his house silently, it was the most typical fisherman's house, with old photographs of fishing trips stuck to the wooden walls, and two of the couches playing host to rods. "There's a room down the back for you, it used to be the sunroom so it's quite bright."

He followed her down to the end of the house, all of the walls, except the one attached to the house transition into a window halfway up. A single bed sat in the corner of the room, the sun setting behind the horizon illuminated it with a soft orange glow.

"We can buy some curtains tomorrow."

Savannah said nothing. An echo of the silence she had held since their meeting a couple of days ago.

The main sighed behind her, even his breaths had an accent to them. "Listen, Kid, I barely knew you existed until a month ago. This 'Dad' thing is pretty new to me too, but..." He paused as though struggling to find the right words. "We can work it out together?"

Savannah allowed for a small smile, despite the cringe factor of his speech. Her Dad grinned back.

--
Prologue done. What do we think?
I have so many plans for this, I'm thinking friends to lovers but like they are not close at the start and the tension grows as their friendship does. I'm not great at writing romance though so this will be a first try.

it feels weird writing this cause no one reading it but-

how is everyone's day going?

lots of love