74

an eye for an eye

an eye for an eye

"CAN I ASK A STUPID QUESTION?"

Athena looked up from her phone, eyes narrowing in Kol's direction. "Without a doubt, I'm sure."

The Original gives her an unamused look and she smirks before silently gesturing him on. "Why are we not just killing the witch and her brother, and then finding the cure for ourselves?"

"You're right, that is a stupid question," She looks at him incredulously, shaking her head. "Who do we know that would even want to take the cure in the first place? There's no point in us going through the trouble to find it for no reason."

"Yes, but if it's in our possession, no one else can have it."

Athena nodded slowly, giving him an odd look. "So, you didn't want us to get it or have it at all until someone else wanted it, and now you want to kill the people that need it, just so you can keep it and just... not do anything with it."

Kol points at her, smiling. "Yes, exactly."

"So, like a toddler, then,"

His smile disappears.

Athena tilts her head, giving him an expectant look. "I'm right, aren't I?"

"No–"

"Right," She cuts in, stepping past him as she gets up from the couch, heading for the stairs. "You want the cure for no reason, and that's great– we're going to get it. But something I've come to learn, and something that I feel you already should know, is that you can't just kill first and ask questions later."

Kol followed after her, bypassing her on the steps and turning around to block her path. "But there are no questions we could possibly have for them– they're random strangers who were just unlucky and one of them happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Athena fakes a wince. "I wish that free will was actually that free. Really, I do. But I know better, and I also know you, Kol, which means I know that you know there are absolutely questions we could ask them,"

Athena pointedly pushed past him, continuing up the stairs to head down the hallway toward the room that Luke had temporarily claimed with Jo.

She taps her knuckles against the closed door a few times, barely waiting before she swings the door open, somewhat startling the siblings sitting in the room. "What happens if the cure doesn't work out? Or, let's say it does, what happens then? What's your after-plan?"

Luke looks at his sister warily and Jo tucks her hair behind her ears, swallowing roughly. "We haven't... really thought that far."

"So, you've put all of your faith in this absolute pipe dream of an idea, and you're just hoping for the best?"