Chapter XIII

When he woke up again, he felt something tied tightly around his wrists and ankles. This was not good. If only he had waited for Ayato before meeting Albert again. However, now was no time to wallow in self-pity. Thoma had to find a way out of this situation. He couldn't recognize his surroundings, but he could smell the sea although it was masked with the smell of dust. He didn't have much time to look around before he heard someone approaching and hurriedly closed his eyes, letting his muscles go limp. He hoped they wouldn't realize he was conscious.

Thoma heard the voices of two men, one of whom he recognized to be Albert. He shouldn't have trusted him, not when he was tipsy and alone. He should have told someone where he was headed.

- "I got what you wanted, now give me the mora." Albert said impatiently.

- "You're sure this man is close to the Yashiro commissioner?" another voice asked skeptically.

- "Positive."

- "Alright then, now we just wait for Kamisato to come around." the voice said.

They didn't seem to notice anything unusual about Thoma which was quite a relief to him. He opened an eye just slightly to see who the other man was.

- "Look who finally decided to wake up." Albert said with a smirk.

Shit.

- "Ah, just in time. I was starting to lose my patience." The other man had a smug expression on his face. He wore a Tenryou commission uniform, Thoma should have known. The Yashiro commission had never given their full consent to the vision hunt decree. Ultimately making them a target of the Tenryou commission. Well, it wasn't like they got along to begin with. This was just another excuse to take down someone who was in their way. Thoma had to admit this was an underhanded method even for them.

- "Why are you doing this?" Thoma knew the answer, but the truth was he still had a hard time thinking Albert could have done such a thing. He had trusted him after all.

- "You're too naïve Thoma." The grey-haired man laughed. "It's a shame if it weren't for our current circumstance, we could have actually been good friends."

- "This has nothing to do with circumstance, it's all your choice. You chose to betray me." Thoma seethed. He couldn't quite explain why he was so angry. People have treated him badly before but it would just make him a little upset. This was new for him. Perhaps it was because Ayato had raised his standards, or maybe it was because the man who trusted him so much was these people's target. Either way, he was mad, and he had no problem taking it out on Albert.

- "You should watch what you say, kid." The other man said. "All we have to do is keep you alive until your dear Ayato gets here, that said I do have some pent-up anger I wouldn't mind taking out on you."

Oh, this was bad.

Thoma watched as the tall man from the Tenryou commission approached at a menacingly slow pace. He felt his heart sink as he realized just how tall this man was, he had broad, shoulders strong arms, and fists one would not like to be punched by.

Thoma summoned a pyro shield to try and protect himself, little did he know this man wielded a hydro vision. His weak attempt at protecting himself disappeared in an instant. The man grabbed him by the collar and pulled his fist back to punch him.

This was really bad.

He felt the man's fist land on the side of his face. That was most definitely going to bruise. His eyes were tearing up from the pain. A few more punches came before the man threw Thoma to the other end of the room they were in. He glanced at Albert desperately, but he only turned away, an uncomfortable look on his face. The blond tried climbing to his feet, but his limbs were tied, and he had nothing to lean on but the floor. He wanted to cry. This reminded him too much of when he was a kid, vulnerable, weak, and often beaten. It opened the floodgates to memories he had long tried sealing away.

- "Get up and fight me like a man. Oh wait, you can't." The man smiled wickedly before kicking Thoma in the stomach, making him curl up in a fetal position. He wanted this to be over already. But, knowing Ayato, even if he were to catch wind of the news that he had disappeared it would take longer for him to get here, considering he was on a business trip. Even if he found him, this was all a trap, and it would be putting Ayato's life on the line. Quite frankly, Thoma would rather suffer a thousand hits from this man than let anything happen to the Yashiro commissioner. He just had to endure it.

-----------------------------------------------

I feel bad for Thoma (┬┬﹏┬┬) It'll get better I swear...