xii. attack on the camp

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

The instant Luna heard Thyra screaming about death she grabbed the sword Sihtric made for her and left her tent, she feared for Lady Aethelflæd's fate when she couldn't find her. Her only goal was to find Uhtred's sister. Luna killed every dane she came across in search of the redhead. She wasn't sure how long she battled the warriors but she was growing aggravated at having their blood splatter on her dress.

"Thyra!" She sighed in relief at the sight of her men, Father Beocca brushed past her looking for his woman.

"Lady Aethelflæd!"

"Thyra! Please be alive, please be alive. Thyra, please!" Beocca shouted on the verge of crying, her three men rushed to her side each checking her for any injuries.

"I am alright, I promise. Those Danes that crossed my path, however...." She trailed off and watched as they peeked over her shoulder and widened their eyes at the sight of over ten men bloodied and dead.

"Not a single man left living." Aldhelm spoke and provided her a nod in approval at the kills. Uhtred pulled her into a hug and stroked her hair as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Nor woman." Uhtred replied. "Well, other than our woman." He mumbled and pulled away to let Sihtric and Finan hug her. Uhtred walked past Aethelred and gave him the dirtiest look he could muster.

"She is the daughter of King Alfred, they would not kill her. They would not." Aethelred sighed and noticed Luna was embraced by Finan while Sihtric caressed her back before kissing her head.

"Please." Beocca cries and Uhtred goes to comfort him when Thyra screams Beocca's name and runs out of the woods, Luna becomes alleviated at the sight.

"Thyra!" The priest yells and hugs her. "I thought you were dead and I wanted to die because I thought you were dead. I thought you were dead." He sobs out into Thyra's hair as she holds him tightly.

"Thyra," Uhtred says softly, Luna moves to his side and clasps his hand tightly. "Where is Aethelflæd?" He placed his free hand on Thyra's back while his other one grasped Luna's hand just as tight.

"You will answer." Aethelred demanded.

"And you will not speak again if you wish to keep your tongue." Luna threatened with a look of wrath, he moved back at the sight.

"Of course, she will answer!" Beocca snarled at the Lord.

"I do not know." Thyra answers.

"Did they take her? Why did they not take her too?" He looks at Luna when he speaks the last part and Uhtred leans down to kiss her forehead.

"We ran and she was gone. Lady Luna killed anyone that came her way and that in return saved me." Thyra said and looked at Luna with gratitude.

"We will continue the search, Lord." Aldhelm spoke to reassure the man.

"They have taken her. They must have, but why else abandon the city. Why raid the camp?" Uhtred questions and leans against Luna.

"She is the daughter of the king. They wouldn't dare." Luna scoffs and turns to him.

"They took her for that reason, stupid. The higher value prisoner equals greater reward."

"We will scourage camp and beyond. We are looking for Lady Aethelflæd." Uhtred helps her up on his horse with him once they separate from the Saxons, she relaxes against his chest, she is so exhausted from the fight. Uhtred nuzzled his face into her hair and she laid her head against his shoulder, she sighed in delight when he kissed her cheek. After riding for several hours Uhtred's group disbanded on a dirt trail.

"Uhtred, to where are you going?" Uhtred stops his horse and turns to the Saxons.

"I'm going home to Coccham, where Alfred has asked me to remain. And where I left my wife!" He ridiculed and pointed at Aethelred childishly, Luna snickered at the grimace the blonde wore.

Eventually, Uhtred and his men stopped to make camp. The night was beautiful with the fire flickering about while Sihtric and Uhtred sat on a log or rock, she wasn't sure. She sat on the grass with Finan lying in between her legs, his back against her chest. She had an arm wrapped loosely over his shoulder and chest and smiled when he leaned back to look up at her. She leaned down to give him a kiss that he eagerly replicated as she ran her hand through his hair before pulling away when he moaned quietly.

"If you believe her to be alive, you will not abandon her. You will not. That is a fact. So, what is the real reason we are traveling home to Coccham and not to Winchester?" Finan asked, one of his hands playing with her dress while waiting for Uhtred's answer.

"There is nothing to be said in Winchester. I won't be part of a whispering court. We will go when I have something to say, not before." Uhtred replies and looks over at the youngest dane. "Sihtric."

"Lord?"

"Take Rypere there and go to Beamfleot. That is where Erik's fleet lies, that is where they'll be." Luna frowned at the idea of her home and its inhabitants being prisoners to the brothers of all people. She wrapped both of her arms around the Irishman and kissed his head, she propped her chin on his head lost in thought.

"We are to spy?" Sihtric asked with a smile.

"You are to confirm that Lady Aethelflæd is alive and how they are treating her. Send Rypere back to me at Coccham, you will remain there and, yes, you are to spy. Sihtric, I will need to know every part of Beamfleot, every blade of grass that surrounds Luna's fortress." Uhtred looks over at Luna who is visibly distressed at her home being taken and one of her lovers departing.

"Yes, lord." Sihtric attracts Luna's attention by kneeling next to her, she looks at him with a small smile. "I will be back soon, my moon." He whispered and kissed her softly.