05| It's my fault

"What are you selecting?" Arushi inquired, peeking at the form in my hand

"Literature, and you?" I replied, snapping the pen shut before passing it back to her.

We had been tasked with choosing our elective subjects for the upcoming semester. Given my preexisting interest in literature, I chose it as my subject. Reading books and novels had always been a cherished hobby of mine, and I believed that opting for Literature as an elective would be advantageous. It would present a chance to delve deeper into my passion.

In short, it would be a welcome respite from the rigorous demands of my architectural course and a chance for me to pursue my interests.

"I am selecting the same course. It will serve as inspiration for my fashion design program, as I have a particular fascination with the fashion of the 1700s and 1800s in America." Arushi explained, while filling out her form.

Made sense. Immersing herself in the literature of that era would provide her with valuable direction and a deeper understanding of the styles and trends prevalent during that time.

"Let's go; I've completed it," she declared, and together we strolled towards the enrollment department.

I caught sight of Ishana emerging from the block, and upon noticing me, she scoffed, rolled her eyes, and swiftly walked away.

"Why is she always so agitated, man? It's like her ass is constantly on fire," Arushi remarked, tilting her head back as she observed Ishana's retreating figure.

It had become a routine with Ishana, her habit of giving me peculiar expressions every time our paths crossed, as if she had encountered an alien. I had grown accustomed to it by now, and instead of annoyance, I found myself feeling sorry for her nonsensical behavior.

"How about we give her a fire extinguisher?" I mused aloud.

Arushi smirked in response. "Leave that poor extinguisher, Nitya. It's better off far away from her. Knowing Ishana, instead of extinguishing, she'd probably end up burning that extinguisher too."

I erupted into laughter. 

We parted ways, each heading to our respective lectures. For me, it was the same old routine, the professors droning on, my pen dancing across the paper as I scribbled down notes, tackled equations, and endured the occasional barrage of questions. It was all as predictable as breathing. 

Nothing more, nothing less. 

Perhaps it was because I didn't have any friends besides Arushi. Can't really blame me, though. My trust issues were as sharp as broken glass, and being a scholarship student from a middle-class background only amplified those insecurities. 

I had no desire to get tangled up in the mess of the rich and privileged. Not that I was judging, but from Ishana's experiences, that's just how it seemed to be.