Shields of Pain

What in the-?! Something that ISN'T The Fierce God Given Life?! YEAH! This right here is a gift for a close friend of mine. A huge fan on Dragon Quest, so it's a great birthday present! I hope everyone enjoys, a lot of research went into getting this right!
-Jooostan

Dire Need of Help – A Dragon Quest One-Shot
Chapter 1: Shields of Pain

"Haa... Haa... And stay down."

King Irwin panted heavily and sheathed his weapon. The ghostly specter of Eleven did the same. He still didn't know what to think of his father, but he kept his inner thoughts to himself for now.

"Right, time to get after Eleanor."

The King looked towards the door in front of him, squinting his eyes. He ears were picking up something.

"Jade! Jade! Are you down here?! Jade!" A voice called in the distance, echoes bouncing off the walls. Irwin knew that voice.

"King Carnelian?" Irwin was astonished he would be all the way down here. He had to alert him. "Over here, Your Majesty!"

King Irwin took off into a sprint, but Eleven just watched as he left. The teen took a moment to think about how much of a man his father was. All he'd seen so far proved that he was a righteous warrior. Deciding to follow the king, Eleven looked at his map just to make sure he knew where he was going. Running down the wet, muggy halls, the sense of danger loomed in the air.

The Luminary caught up with the king, but Irwin's face was uneasy.

"King Carnelian...? What in the...?!" The King stuttered, unable to process what was happening before him.

Mordegon was in the process of corrupting the man. A dark whip of magic was lassoed around him, and Carnelian groaned. King Irwin drew his weapon.

"Who are you!? What do you think you're doing!?" Irwin demanded.

Mordegon didn't utter a word. He simply turned to face Irwin and grew a sinister smirk. Bearing his discolored teeth, a low chuckle emanated from the gaps and a purple smog surrounded him and King Carnelian. The madman slow disappeared, and slowly the cloud dissipated.

King Carnelian continued to grunt in pain as his mind was consumed. The whip of magic hadn't vanished and he fell to his knees.

"Your Majesty!" Irwin exclaimed. He rushed to the King, unsure what had even happened.

Carnelian slow raised his head, looking around before addressing King Irwin.

"Irwin...? Is that you...? W-What happened...? Is everyone safe?" Carnelian asked, struggling to breathe. The Hero remained an onlooker, not taking a step forward. He didn't want to intervene. Although he wasn't the only one, not by a long shot.

"You're alright! Thank goodness!" King Irwin said, relieved. "Jade's with Eleanor and the wee one, Your Majesty. They made it safely out of the castle."

Carnelian put his hand on Irwin's shoulder. "I see... Good. Very good..."

"I shall send my forces after them right away." The shaky king finished, but the tone of his voice was oddly foreign.

"Your Majesty, what are you-!?" Irwin asked, confused.

King Carnelian then drove his concealed weapon into Irwin's torso, and the father of the Luminary sputtered.

Eleven's eyes widened, and he was put into a state of shock.

Irwin was at the mercy of Carnelian, and the corrupted king made a deep laugh. He twisted the blade around, and Irwin yelled out in agony. Then, he pulled out the sword and let King Irwin a chance to think.