Chapter 07 - Past

Shu still remembered that day vividly. He could still feel the hot pain burning through his skull. After the first moment of violence, pain became a constant companion in his life. The occasional slaps, her leather whip against his back, her words slashing what's left of his confidence became normalcy. Shu lived in a perpetual cycle of violence and affection. One inevitably follows the other. The kiss on his forehead as she turned a blind eye on his cheeks, imprinted red with her hand. The loving hands applying herbs on the marks on his back, the scars still stamped on his skin. He was confused.

His feelings were fleeting, he loved her, he hated her and he loved her again.

Until that one day everything crumbled. A small part of his mind was forever pierced by the horror, the raw pain.

He was sitting on the peace of the balcony. His straw hat was just beside him. Ten years old but still a mystery to the world. He sighed, drawing his knees to his chest. It was a slow day at the brothel, besides the balcony was empty most of the time during the day. It was at night most of the fickle men slid out of their houses, their unsuspecting wives sleeping tight as the night descended, the brothel alight with drink and laughter.

He didn't notice the man's arrival, didn't hear him until he spoke. "Your eyes," He spoke as Shu whipped his head around standing as the chair rattled behind him. "They're just like his, do you know that?"

Shu didn't know the man. He was dressed in black, his emerald eyes almost manic. He reached for the straw hat when his mother's booming voice penetrated the breezy afternoon. "What are you doing here?"

The man turned with a grin, "I'm here to see if the rumours are true," He casted a glance at Shu. "It seems as if they are. He's the child, isn't he?"

His mother ignored him, "Shu. To your room. Now."

Shu had little knowledge of what's being spoken but he knew fury when he saw her. He snatched the hat from the table and brisked off the balcony. His heart was thundering in his ears. This was not good, he chanted to himself. She was going to kill her. It had been a while since he'd seen her like that. The last time his mother got furious, she lashed him until he couldn't stand. Tears pricked his eyes as he slid his paper decorated door open.

He waited in tense silence until she came in. "Get up," She ordered and Shu compiled. His head bowed as he followed her to her room. There was no fury in his face, her expressions weren't twisted like when she threw one of her fits. She was calm and this terrified him more.

It seemed she was detached from her senses. But Shu still didn't see it coming when she slipped a thin knife along her arm, inspecting it under the sunlight filtering through her transparent curtains. Shu refused to see it when she beckoned him towards her and so he went. The silver glistening as the sharp sheen of the knife seemed to mock him. She held his narrow shoulder tightly holding the knife right in front of his eyes.

"Mom..." His shaky voice pleaded. "What are you doing?"

She didn't answer, instead stared right into his crimson pools as if she wanted to gouge his eyes out. He tried to free himself from her grip but found unable to support himself on his shaking legs. He sank to the floor and his mother with him. The threatening weapon still held over his face. "Mom, please. Put that down."

Shu didn't think she would listen but when she lowered the knife to the floor, he sighed in relief. Okay, this was good. He can talk to her in some sense. She wouldn't kill him. For god's sake this woman is his mother. That's why to this day he refused to admit there was a small part of him asking to run away.

Danger, his heart cried. He almost saw it coming when she pinned him on the floor, the knife held over his eyes. Shu shut his eyes in pure horror as she drove it against his right eyes, almost cutting his eyelid open. "Monster!" Akiko screamed. "I wish you were dead, I WISH YOU WERE NEVER BORN!"

Shu screamed in pure agony as blood pooled under his eyes and streamed down his cheek like bloody tears. He flailed at her, trying to push her off from his body as the knife dug deeper, inches away from his eyes. No, no, no, no, no.

He wailed, "MOM!" He screamed for help. Someone to come into his aid. She was going to kill him, his mind chanted. She was really going to kill him.

The help did arrive. Aya came in and pushed Akiko back. The latter stumbled backward with the blood stained knife held loosely between her fingers as she stared at her son's bleeding face. Shu's body went into shock. His breath cut off as he tried to fathom the pain. Blood dripped down his chin as the young male wailed, cupping a hand over his eye.

It hurt, it hurt, it hurt.

His skull throbbed, his left eye constantly watered with the pain as Aya shouted for the servants. "I can't-" Shu whispered, trying to breathe. "It hurts, please."

Aya cupped the back of his head. She was now shouting at his mother. Shu tuned off the conversation, he was nauseous. His gut coiled off as the world tilted left. Shu sighed in relief as the blackness overtook his mind, replacing the pain with blissful oblivion.

He blinked back to consciousness. The right side of his face was ridden with constant agony. He propped himself up on his elbows and instantly regretted the movements as nausea rose from his gut again. He lowered himself back to his futon. His hand closed on the fresh bandages on his face. They were rough under the soft edges of his fingertips. He kept replaying the scene inside his head and it was as if he could still feel the knife diving to his sensitive skin. Was he going to be blind in one eye from now on? He turned his head to the left and saw a pitcher of water with a single cup. He was thirsty, but his hands were shaking, his body felt battered.

He sighed, letting the tears stream down his one good eye as the words reverberated. Now that the pain was numbed with whatever the herbs, now that it was a constant ache, her words came into his mind.

God, he wished he was never born. If life was this painful, he would've willed his death in her womb. If someone told him he's this unwanted, he would've slashed his wrists years before. Why was he ever brought to this world to be constantly tortured? What had he done to deserve this? How was he going to face anyone with this ugly scar over his face?

Why was he a monster?

He wanted to tell her, so badly wanted to speak to her just to tell her, "Me too, mom. I wish I was never born too." 

Ok two updates a day. That's a lot. I'm malfunctioning. Hope you guys like this chap tho it's kinda short ikik