02

CW: Explicit words🔞

Red

Money is the root of all evil. We are sometimes motivated to do wrong things because we want money. In my case, it was not driven by greed. It was love. My love for my mom, my desire for her to live pushed me into the brink of death. It made me join Octagon. It was my life I am willing to give for her. I loathe working for evil, but I never regretted it. Never will I.

"Your mom?" Grey asked. "What happened to your mom?"

He was beaming at me, and I am still trapped under his arms against the wall. Heat was radiating from his body and his cheeks were starting to burn despite the maximum temperature of the room air conditioner. He noticed our awkward position, eventually removing his arms on my side.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." He mumbled, shyness registered in his tone.

I am getting amused every single time.

I stifled a laugh. "I am not. It was you flustered and red, not me."

He unconsciously touched his cheeks which are all red now and smiled vividly. 

A perfect clean fighter, now a blushing one.

Such a rare specie.

"It was a very conventional story of a daughter trying to save her mom from deathbed."

I walked towards another glass door which is where all the physical examination took place. We both get in, and he frowned when I locked the door.

"You looked nervous." I teased him. "You are too scared as a fighter."

"So you are here for money?" He queried again, trying to pursue me to share my story.

"Shall I tell you why?"

"I can lend my ears." 

For some reasons, I'm comfortable with him. And I don't even know why. Or maybe because of the story he shared about his brother, I found someone who could finally understand me on why I choose this path.

A path that would never lead me to a better place.

___

3 years ago...

Feet frantically scrambled in and out of the intensive care unit. Someone shouted....

Code blue. Code blue.

Nurses and doctor stormed inside like bees, and the hounding sound of the life monitor machine made me freeze at the glass door. The view of my mom fighting for her life, lying on the bed with different tubes inserted at her for life support after that accident was a total heartbreak for me.

A nurse wiped her chest dry, then attached pads both left and right side of her chest. A metal clasping, someone shouted CLEAR.

SHOCK buttons pushed, metal clashed and pumped against her chest, a body barely moving up and it was nothing but a flat line.

Defibrillator did not work. Then they started chest compressions.

Unresponsive. No pulse.

I was starting to become hysterical. For someone who's in the medical field, I know exactly what's happening. My mom's heart stopped beating, and they were reviving her.