72: . . . A Long New Project

(I'm just waiting for you guys to notice-)

~
There were 3 golden pens. One had a gold moon charm on it's cap, one had a sun, and the other, had a. . . A clock. . .?

There was also a key, a USB, and another paper, it had nothing on it, except one word. "OPEN".

~
"I mean, I know Maddie expected us to come here, but, what if she's been expecting it?" You mumbled, at this point, you were mainly just spitballing ideas.

You didn't wait for Sun to question your thoughts, before continuing. "I mean, come on. How would Joel find this in her office? Even more so, why would it have. . . An instruction on it? Could there be a chance that she planned it at all? No. . . That doesn't make complete sense. . ."
Hardly a minute passed, before you said 'nevermind', and informed Sun you were just putting your thoughts out there.

"'OPEN?' Open up the USB, maybe?" Sun recommended.
You shook your head. "That seems too obvious. But yeah, we should try that."
You handed the USB over to him. "Can you? You do have anti-virus protection, right?"

Sun didn't respond, but moved one of his ribbons on his wrists back slightly, and was able to plug the USB in there.
"What is it? Is there anything on it?" You ask, leaning closer to him slightly.
"It's just. . .an—a, picture."
"Can you describe it?"

He frowned at you. "Really?"
"Oh right. Uh. . . Is it, familiar? In anyway?" Sun nodded, and you continued asking. "-Where is it? If you know."

"Here." He replied with, turning his attention at the corner of the room.
There was a box.
Like a treasure box, that kids would put their most prized possessions in.

It was locked.

"There should be a key-" you cut Sun off, "Found it."
"What? How?!" Sun exclaimed.
"It was underneath the bed."

Inside the box, was a bunch of coils and broken mechanisms. There was also, a piece of paper. You unfolded it, while closing the box.

The paper had 26 symbols on it, all numbered.

The paper looked old, and yellow. As it, itself  may have been decaying slowly.
'There's definitely a new project and mystery to work on now.'

You folded the paper and put it in your back pocket.
"Come on Sun, let's get out of here."

Sun quickly put everything back where he once remembered it, and you two left the room. Gently closing the door behind you.
Once you climbed the stairs, you gave the roof a gentle knock, and you waited.

After a few long seconds, you heard Moon complain from outside. "Oh my god- hold on. I can't find the notch."
You started to grin, chuckling a bit.
When you heard a click you pushed the door up. "You couldn't find the notch?" You 'mocked'.

"It's not too late for me to shut you guys back in there."
"Ooh, ouch." You countered sarcastically.

When you closed the basment back up, Sun dragged the rug back onto it's rightful place, and you turned off the lights, leading Sun and Moon to. . . Well, where you planned on sleeping.

You woke up at 4 am. To a noise in the house. Something fell over, and it sounded like a cooking pan. So you assumed it was coming from the kitchen.

Carefully, you maneuvered out from in-between Sun and Moon, slowly, and carefully creeping to the door.

You locked the second bedroom lock, and unplugged the alarm clock, which had a night-light glow coming from it. Lastly, you pulled on a thin long sleeve hoodie, if anyone walked in, you wouldn't want to be wearing just a tank top.
There was another crash. Which made you flinch, and hurry back to the bed.
'Okay, If it was Maddie returning home, no way she'd be that clumsy. And she'd probably announce her arrival.'

Instead of doing anything else around the room, you got yourself comfortable in the bed again, debating turning the animatronics on or not.
It might just be paranoia, maybe. . . She did return home! Just didn't want to wake you up, and she's making a night snack!

Yeah. . . Nothing to be worried about. Maybe it's just hallucinations, and you're just hearing things!
You sunk under the blanket, and tried to shut your eyes tightly.

"You okay?"
Hearing the voice almost made you scream. You shot up, and whisper-yelled at the source. "Damnit Moon! You scared the shit out of me! Why are you awake?!"
"My systems start up when something happen around me. And your heart rate is through the roof."

You shook your head, scooting back a bit so you're leaning against the 'wall'.
"142, 136, 129, 121, 112, Wow, I am good at this, aren't I?" Moon said the last part jokingly, but seemed to regret saying anything directly after.

"You can scan, right?" You ask him, "-Is there. . . Anyone else in the house right now?"
You waited for a couple minutes before getting any response.
"It's just you. There's nobody else here." He finally confirmed.

You let out a breath, and laid back down, pulling the blanket right below your chin, though you only stayed like that for maybe a minute before sitting up again. "I think I'm gonna check."
"I mean, if you want. Though it's almost morning, and if you probably not be able to fall asleep again."
Because of Moon's.... condition, you couldn't quite tell how he meant to say that, or if he was giving you a judgemental glare.

"I don't care, you're coming with me though."
"Do I have a choice?" He sighed.
Getting up, you yanked his arm, and he got up, following you disappointedly.

After opening the door, you peeked out into the hallway, before slowly walking out. Moon was dragging his feet behind you, still salty about standing up.
Once you found the kitchen, you soon noticed nothing out of place.
You cursed silently. "No, nothing."
"Told you. Go back to bed, if you don't fall asleep soon, I have some pills for you." Moon threatened, jokingly? You couldn't tell.
~

You woke up at 8 am. There was the sound of morning birds singing through the window, which was quickly erupted interrupted by loud laughing.

Since it sounded like Maddie, you got up and went to the living room. "Welcome back." You said rubbing your eyes.
"I DID IT Y/N!! Oh! And I had to stay a day extra, to cover the meeting..." Maddie explained, slowly getting quieter in tone.
"The meeting?" You asked.
"Yes! I covered that, and I paid! So we don't need to worry about it now! Though it was a hassle. . ."
"How did you get the money though? You questioned suspiciously.

She smiled, still bubbly. "My sister! I just did a lot of her chores, and errands."
"I'm going to have to meet your sister one day."
You saw her shoulders drop, as she perused her lips, suddenly looking guilty. "Yeah. . .I'll. . . See if I can arrange anything."

You shook it off, "When will we get going?"
Maddie perked up again, like it was something she cared more about. "Anytime! Whenever! Maybe soon?"
You nodded, "Okay, but. . . I do need to tell you something about Sun and Moon."
Her expression flipped, clearly she already had assumed something.
~

(And- HERE:

)

(Wowers! That... took some time. Oops.)