Learn The Roots

Home.

The only place we trust, one that is meant to feel warm and keep us safe.
A place that welcomes us... not locks us away and exploits our gifts for someone else's benefit.

~Flashback~

Bright blue eyes slowly open from the sound of laughter. Muffled footsteps can be heard running around the vast white room. Tommy tiredly sits up and rubs his eyes, feeling drained from his nap. The whiteness in the room pains his eyes, everyone and everything is blurry, looking at the other children, all he sees are multiple amounts of different hair colours, tails and blurry soft beds. Feeling a migraine forming up, Tommy turns away from his giggling siblings and goes back to sleep.

"What's wrong, big man?" A hushed voice says.

Tommy flinches and recognizes the voice as Tubbo, the messy-haired boy watching him silently. He forces his eyes open and locks them with Tubbo's for a few seconds, Tubbo's tiny diamond wings fluttering softly as he fidgets with his four fingers.

Confused, Tommy asks, "Have you been watching me sleep..?" Almost immediately startled at how raspy his voice sounded. Tubbo, just as surprised, replies, ".. I think you're sick, Toms."

Tommy can feel his migraine getting worse, but refuses to let himself stop speaking, "What? No! I'm not sick!" He coughs mid sentence before continuing, "Don't ignore my quest- "

"Well, it's good to hear you're alive."

Tommy and Tubbo, quite literally, jump as they look to see their older brother standing behind Tommy. "Dream!!" He says delightfully, turning around, but not getting out of bed. Tubbo bolts around the bed to tackle-hug the tall man, but only reaches up to his waist, wrapping his hands along Dream's lengthy ivory coat. Looking up at Dream, Tommy notices his pale hair is in a messy bun and not the usual straight let down. His blindfold's end twisted strangely under his bun.

Suddenly, a small yelp appears behind Dream and Tubbo, who has let go of him. The fumbly voice asks, "Can we play outside today, Dream?" They turn around and Tommy peers over them to see Ranboo awkwardly standing with a warm smile.

Even with his vision slightly impaired, Tommy can see that Ranboo's split black and white hair has been put into two neat braids, resting on his shoulders, their hair covering their odd eyes. Black and white spots all over his pale skin, specifically one large black spot on the right side of their face and another large white spot on their left. Ranboo's slim tail, almost the same as his hair, sways nervously. As Tommy stares at him, he attempts to sit up more correctly, but is instead hit with a cramp and quietly whines in pain, lying back down.

Tubbo and Ranboo's long ears twitch at the noise and peer over Dream with a worried face.

Dream turns his head back at the blond boy and turns back to his nervous brother. "Sure, you can all go ahead with Puffy and Sapnap. But Tommy will stay put in here with me." He answers. Tubbo and Ranboo's expressions change into pure happiness and they sprint over to their other kids a few feet away. "LETS GO!! HE SAID YES!!" They scream.

Aimsey, Eryn, and Purpled look up and grin happily, getting up and running to the vast white doorway, waiting behind their caretaker. But as the others run out the door, excited to see the trees sway and feel the sun beam down onto their skin, Eryn stops themselves short and peers back. His ears twitch just a bit. They complained, "But why do you need him Dream? I want to play with Tommy!" Their spiked tail thrashed upsettly.

"Well, Tommy's not feeling very well Eryn.." Dream understandably replies. He adds, "right Tommy?" He looks back at him as he speaks.

Tommy glances over to the chocolate-haired boy, then back at Dream, who smiles at him kindly. He tries to figure out how his older brother knew about his pain. "You can play with Aimsey or Purpled.." He mumbles, not meeting Eryn's bulbous eyes.