Incongruous

The bullets whizzed by the shoulders of Samuel Clark as a German trench exchanged fire with his own. The gunshots echoed into space and the grey skys cried light drizzles which suddenly became heavy showers. His chest rested on a short incline on the trench wall and the rain had soaked his back in seconds. He mounted his rifle and put his cheek against the top of the stock, but kept his head relatively low as his helmet had been lost and his complexion tarnished by the dirt covering his eyes and face. Despite these inconveniences, Samuel stayed in position and was able to maintain a hard and sharp stare through the scope of his rifle as he scanned for German heads poking out from the opposite trench.

He never hesitated to kill given he constantly reminded himself that they're all the same - men brainwashed into believing in an inhuman cause, operating as deadly machines to carry out the desires of a cruel dictator. Damn Fritz he'd think to himself in a hardy British fashion everytime he loaded his rifle as if it was a prayer before battle. War became routine for Samuel, maybe a bit too repetitive for his liking. He kept fond thoughts of home to carry him through the struggles he faced on a daily basis, though they tended to leave him distraught. He worried that he might never be able to hold his wife again and that his sons would grow up without the love and brace of a father. Creating scenarios in his head where he'd return home and be greeted with a kiss from his Lauren and rushed for a hug from his boys. Those thoughts took hold of him as his left hand trembled beneath the barrel of his rifle. He sunk down into the narrow trench and rested his back against the wall, hanging his head. He observed the muddy grounds on which he stood and noticed three corpses: one to his left and two to his right, all men whom he had greeted and shared meals with. Fathers and sons fighting alongside him under the British banner. He bowed his head, not in prayer, but in fear."Sam!" a distressed voice called. Samuel turned to his left and saw Melvin, a lean ginger in his late twenties. Melvin was new to the army. Inexperienced,  but marched like a lieutenant. Since arriving, he took on the role of counselor for everyone in the army, lending an ear to men when no one else would bother. He tried his best to give valid feedback even though he was much younger than the rest. Samuel appreciated Melvin and never forgot their first conversation:

I'm here to bring a glimpse of light to the fog, Sam.

It stuck with him ever since.

Melvin stood firm infront of Samuel, towering over his head by a few centimetres. "I need you in Diego's bunker. He's having trouble and I can't find the nurse. You've dealt with these things before so I'll allow you to help. Hurry, come with me!". Samuel immediately threw his rifle aside and hurried infront of Melvin, pushing through the mud to reach the bunker a few meters away. Soldiers ran riot around him trying to get from one end of the trench to the next. Guns fired relentlessly and the wind carried battle cries from both ends. The two men reached the bunker. Samuel bolted through the doorframe and saw Diego, a short and chubby man with a rough stubble, resting flat on his back, shaking and gagging as a trembling rookie looked on helplessly - Hudson, a lad who had only just turned 19. Samuel tended to Diego while Melvin approached Hudson, clasping his arms and attempting to calm him down. Hudson shivered with fright and cupped his hands over his ears like a child ignoring their parent. Melvin left him and turned his attention towards Samuel who had turned Diego on his side thinking it was the best course of action. He soon realised that Diego was choking on something large. An object of sorts and not just his own fluids. He turned him back and proceeded to press violently against his chest. Diego wheezed during the presses and gagged between them. He grasped onto Samuel's battledress in a panic and kicked his legs out. Samuel then began hitting his chest desperately, afraid of failure to save him. Melvin rushed towards Samuel and was about to pull him away from Diego when the nurse walked in. He froze and turned red as the golden-ager stood in the midst of such chaos."What the hell is going on?! Samuel! Stop it!" she shrieked in a distinct Brummie accent. Samuel ignored the nurse and continued to beat against Diego's chest. Melvin once again rushed towards him, hugged his torso and yanked him away from Diego with such force that both men tumbled backwards. The nurse hurried to Diego and tiredly grunted while picking him up onto his feet. She wrapped her frail arms round his waist, clenching a fist above his belly, and squeezed as hard as she could. She slightly lifted him off the ground with her third squeeze causing him to cough up the tedious object that had brought him the discomfort : a large tube like pill. It fell across the floor and the nurse rushed to pick it up as Melvin and Samuel stood up from their tumble. Diego sat upright on the floor panting heavily and clutching his throat while the nurse shortly examined the pill. It was red and carried the odor of canned beans from being in Diego's mouth. She then revealed a flask of water from inside her white ward dress and handed it along with the pill to Diego. "Drink water next time! These blood sugar pills are a tough swallow." she said, letting out a heavy sigh. He placed the pill in his mouth and drank from the flask, swallowing hard and sticking his tongue out to show the nurse he had washed it down. She spun to face Melvin, highly irritated. "Unbelievable. Asking him for help? You should know better." Melvin scratched the back of his head in shame and looked away from the nurse. "I just thought he'd know what to do." The nurse scoffed then turned to Hudson who was trembling from the excitement. She gently touched his shoulder. "Hudson, son. You're supposed to be in your bunker. Have you gotten lost again?" Hudson shook his head slowly and let out a series of low murmurs. Like a wounded hound thought Samuel. He took a slow step towards the pair. "Why are you treating him like a lad? He's no boy. Let him be. I reckon he's safer in this bunker anyway. I don't think he ever had the stomach to be out there." The nurse walked closer to Samuel, close enough to smell the hatred on him. The fear. The loneliness. She leaned in towards him with wide opened eyes and stared at him for a second before opening her mouth.