iii. the bait

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Bloodhair! Come for me, avenge me, free me! I demand it! Bloodhair!" Skade shouts from the perch she is chained to. The men mumbled their displeasure at hearing her scream for hours on end.

"When can we bind her mouth shut?" Sihtric asked Uhtred. Sihtric feels Luna dozing off in his arms, he looks over at Finan who has his fur cloak over his head where he sits, his head lays against the beam Uhtred leans on.

"Die for me! Desire me!" Skade shouts in the distance, but they ignore her. Finan glances at whoever talks as if he were a newborn baby making Luna smile.

"Let her sing." Uhtred says.

"That is not singing." Osferth said with a smile.

"Lord Uhtred, you are allowing that woman to wail all night long?" Sigebriht asked annoyed.

"For a little while longer, yes."

Worried that Luna might be cold Sihtric gently pulls her to Finan who notices them with sleepy eyes and opens his arms for her to crawl into his lap. Sihtric covers them both up and tugs the fur back up on Finan's head as the younger dane gently nudges Finan's head back to the beam to rest. Sihtric moves the hair from Luna's face as she nuzzles her into Finan's warm neck, Aethelwold walks up waking them.

"Here is a bit of loose talk for you. Sigebriht here, son of whoever would like to rip the innards from young Edwards's belly. Would you like to know why?" Aethelwold asks, Luna and Finan watch them sleepily.

"Um...no." Uhtred said and Luna laughed lightly at him. Uhtred tapped the tip of her nose with his thumb and watched softly as Sihtric guided the two back to sleep by running his fingers through Luna's hair and along Finan's bearded jaw.

Aethelwold looks at the four curiously before continuing his story.

"I'll tell you. Edward the non-bastard son of Alfred," He says pointing at Osferth. "Has whelped twins on the girl whom Sigebriht did love."

"And does Sigebriht still love this girl?" Osferth questioned, the monk looked over at Sihtric who grew flustered at getting caught looking at the sleepy couple with pure love and adoration. Aethelwold walks to the fire and warms his hands, as Sihtric rubs his eyes tiredly.

"Can someone not just cut her throat?" Aethelwold asks as Skade still shouts for her lover.

"Why are you telling me this? It's of no concern to me." Uhtred sighs and looks over at Luna who sleeps peacefully against Finan.

"They will make it your concern, Uhtred. They will find a way and Edward shall become your charge. You're a kingmaker, my friend. And Alfred knows it." After the small talk Sihtric wakes the couple and takes them both to bed, Finan mumbled quietly once Sihtric took off the Irishman's boots and guided them both to the warm furs. Luna crawled in next to the Christian and cuddled up against his chest resting her face in the crook of his neck, she turned to reach out for Sihtric who moved to lay next to her.

Sihtric slips an arm around her waist to rest a hand on her belly where his child grows, she wiggles into a comfortable position making Finan groan. The Irishman stretches out one of his arms to sling around both of their hips pulling them closer and uses his other hand to tangle in Sihtric's hair.

"Night, a stór," Finan mumbled in her ear. "Night Sitty." The three slept like the dead that night and would have through the morning if they hadn't been harshly woken by the bells ringing. Sihtric wakes first to go to the lookout tower as the other two slowly follow.

"Lord, it is Bloodhair! He has hostages!"

"Every man to the walls, every sword and spear must be ready!" Uhtred orders as he alerts everyone. "Osferth, prepare to open the gates. Finan and Luna, with me." The two nod and gather their respective weapons.

"Uhtred, what is it?" Beocca asks as he and Alfred's group walk to them.

"Who is it?"

"God himself, who else would it be?" She replies mockingly. Alfred gives her a dirty look while Edward smiles beside his father.

"Bloodhair, with hostages." Uhtred informs.

"He wishes to negotiate?" Alfred asks.

"Possibly!" Uhtred shouts as he retrieves Skade from her cage.

"Osferth, the gates. Steapa, be ready!" Luna and Finan rush out before Uhtred and Skade, Luna has her bow notched and ready.

"They are killing women, lord."

"The gates! Earl Sigurd kill one more hostage and I shall let every man here see her nakedness and then I shall spill her guts. Just one more!" Uhtred demands holding Skade roughly. Luna looks to her left and sees Finan resting his sword on his shoulder with his free hand gripping his belt.

Luna should not find that so attractive.

"Do it, lord! I'll see you in the next life." Skade shouted to him. Uhtred holds her roughly as she fights against his grip. "Kill them all! Attack!" Uhtred retaliated by punching her in the stomach, and Skade groaned in pain. "Bloodhair, kill them now! Attack now!" Bloodhair ignores her request.

"What's your answer? I have a mind to kill her. She tires me."

"He cannot do it, lord. He's cursed!" Skade screams out making Luna sigh in annoyance. Uhtred shoved Skade to the ground and kicked her. This was the only time she had ever applauded a woman getting hit.

"You will not harm her again!" Bloodhair shouts in anger.

"The price has risen. You will not only spare the hostages, you will free them and send them across to the burh." Uhtred demands with an air of superiority.

"What I'll do is feed you your cock and gut your woman," He said looking at Luna who just smirks at the child-like threat. "Release her." Uhtred and Finan, however, did not take it too kindly. Finan gave the Dane the dirtiest look she has ever seen from him and Uhtred clenched his jaw in anger at the threat to their woman and roughly grabbed Skade by her hair.

"You have until sunset to free the hostages, or each man in this fortress will take his turn." Uhtred threatens.

"You will not see Valhalla Uhtred Ragnarsson! I swear it!" Bloodhair screams out. Finan walks backward with his arms spread out mockingly and accidentally bumps into Luna who laughs loudly as he grabs her waist apologizing with a grin.