0:01

pov is always Mia, unless stated otherwise.

Since I was a baby, i've always been what you'd call "in the spotlight". I grew up in Anaheim, California, but was forced to move to Chino Hills once i got to high school. My dad, Keith Santos (formerly known as Keith Powers but that's a whole other story.) is an actor. As soon as the world found out he had a kid? It was no more privacy. The media found ways to exploit my whole family, from showing up at my school events, to coming to fucking church with us.  Therefore, he moved me and my mom out of Anaheim and into Chino as a "fresh start not too far from home". I'm a senior in high school now and I go to Ayala Private School for the Arts. For those that don't know what the fuck that is, it's a small ass private school 10 minutes from Chino Hills High. Now we can get into real life details about me. My mom passed away my sophomore year from a heart condition. After she had my little brother, she got an infection during the C-section and it gave her Endocarditis. My dad hasn't been the same ever since it happened. I used my best friend, at the time, Miguel, to help me cope. it ruined our friendship. I have a best friend at Chino Hills, Ashley, and she always comes through when I need her. Miguel goes to Chino Hills, along with Ashley but he didn't start acting different until he wanted us to be more than friends but i wasn't looking for all that. After that I started dating Jaylen. She sorta saved me in a way...She was my first real love but not to the point where i could never get over her. It was almost like I needed an important female role in my life and with her i got that and so much more. I would never say i don't have love for her but i'm definitely over her. it's been a year.

Back to Reality

"Mia please stop talking" Jaylen says through tears while her and her friend are dying lying at what I just said. "i'm just saying! If that bitch for the streets then she ain burning me wit her tire ass pussy!" i chuckle a little bit repeating that sentence for the second time. It's no secret that i go both ways. I like what i like and that's perfect for me. "that shit was just so random though" Jaylens friend, scarlet says trying to catch her breath from laughing so hard. "Yo have y'all seen melo recently?" jaylen asks with confusion on her face. I don't know why she's asking...she's literally gay as fuck. "no?" i say squinting my eyes "why did you just ask that?" i look at scarlet and then at jaylen. she shrugs "i don't know you guys used to be close and he seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth" scarlet finished jaylens thought. i just shrug my shoulders and continue eating my lunch. "i don't keep tabs on him. maybe try asking my dad...it seems like he talks to lavar all the time" my dad and lavar are really close, like brothers. even despite the huge age gap that they present. My dad, 40 and lavar being 55. "What happened to y'all? one day y'all were friends and the next you weren't" scarlet asked with concern on her face but without trying to be extremely nosy. jaylen shakes her head "he wasn't there when she needed him" she looks at scarlet "her mom passed and melo was too busy building his future and his legacy to check on her". Melo was like the ONE person who knew what it was like growing up the way we did and we were always there for each other. my sophomore year, his junior year, was when my mom passed but he was worried about everything else to even bother to text me and ask was i okay. I shake my head "can we not get into this today... i have mad love for him and honestly if he came back into my life and apologized i'd be his best friend again. but until then?" jaylen finishes my sentence "its fuck him" i nod while getting up from the round table in the cafeteria. "i'll see y'all at the end of the day" i say and walk out to go to my last block.

—-

authors note -
hey y'all!!!! i can't believe i started this book 2 years ago and just left y'all high & dry 😭😭 i got y'all back fr though now. i hope y'all enjoyed this lil intro and it gave y'all some backstory to some of your new favorite characters. until next update... - lani