Part 1

It all happened in a blur. You always believed that in a time of danger, you would be skilled and strong enough to protect your clan. But as you watched the sky demons, disguised as Na'vi, pointing their weapons at your people and burning your homes, you felt like a useless coward. If it wasn't for your sister's, Tsahik's, quick thinking of causing a distraction and pushing you into the water, you would have been dead by now. She sacrificed herself for you to live.

You can't make out how much time has passed since you finally made it to the unfamiliar reefs, as you collapsed on the sand, breathless and disoriented. You could only hope that you reached the correct destination: the Awa'atlu village. The distant sounds of horns announced your arrival, and strangers started to surround you in a circle. When the Olo'eyktan approached you, you managed to summon the rest of your strength to stand up and greet him.

You're weak, and judging by his face, you're sure that the explanation you give him is too vague. You hope that despite your mumbling, he understands that you were asking for refuge to escape from the sky demons. As the villagers around you start whispering, the only thing that comes to your mind clearly is "Jake Sully." They killed your people, set your village on fire, shot your ilus... All because of Jake Sully.

"Jake Sully," you repeat in a low whisper, your eyelids suddenly feeling heavy.

"Where is your ilu, child? Did you swim here by yourself?" Olo'eyktan asks, examining you with a hint of worry.

You wince at the mention of your ilu, the painful memory of its death still too fresh. It seemed unfair that you weren't fast enough to save both of you. You had underestimated the demons, thinking you were too far away when a bullet suddenly pierced through your companion, acute pain reaching you simultaneously through the bond. You ilu did its best to swim through, bringing you to safety before you felt its body sink underneath you with a final shriek. Yet you couldn't even mourn.

You were still in the open water, alone, unsure of where to head. You screamed as you pulled yourself together and started to swim, pushing through exhaustion and soreness in your muscles. You couldn't afford to stop until you reached the unfamiliar land. You owed your sister to survive this.

"They killed my ilu," a sob escapes your throat, your knees suddenly going weak.

"Easy there," you hear a low voice beside you, as a pair of warm hands snake around your waist, supporting you to stand on your feet. You glance down at the hands, and realize that they are different. Blue-skinned.

"She needs to rest. She must have been swimming for hours," Tsahik steps out, "What clan do you belong to, child?"

"Ta'unui."

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Your first night in Awa'atlu, you're too weak to get out of bed. The Tsahik had placed you in a small empty marui, close to hers, so she could easily check on you. In moments of consciousness, you catch glimpses of people and snippets of conversations. When they ask you questions about your arrival, you can only answer by nodding and shaking your head.

Ronal, Tsahik of the Metkayina clan, says that you could have died out in the open water. She thinks it's a miracle, and whispers prayers to Eywa while massaging your muscles with various balms. You can't protest really, even when the balms start stinging and making your muscles clench and burn.

Tsireya, the daughter of the Tsahik, always remains by her mother's side, carefully observing her actions, and joining her in prayer. You guess that she is the tsakarem. Watching Tsireya reminds you of the time when your sister was a tsakarem, following your grandmother around to learn from her.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

On the second day, you feel better. You gradually regain consciousness and start to move your limbs. Despite the pain and the slowness of your movements, you feel the life return back to your body. Tsireya stays with you even after her mother leaves.