Always - Choi Yeonjun

She reeks of alcohol, stumbling over chairs as she walks. The smell reminds me of all those nights when my parents would get so intoxicated that they would fight about it, then pass out before the argument was over. Those were some of my least favorite nights.

I want to help her. But I can't. I made an agreement with myself that I wouldn't ever initiate or take part in any contact with her.

She bumps into a random guy's shoulder while on her way to the bathroom.

Then she turns around and mumbles a drunken "I'm so sorry, sir," before making her way back to the bar as if she just forgot she was ever going to the bathroom.

"Another shot, please," she speaks to the bartender, who looks concerned but still gives her another drink. She downs it, wincing as it travels down her throat. "One more, sir, if you don't mind."

I hear the bartender say something to her. "Ma'am, you've already had so much to drink. If you consume any more-"

"I don't care what the consequences are. Just give me another shot." He sighs and pours another.

I know I said I wouldn't, but I have to intervene. This won't end well if she continues drinking like this.

I walk over and put my hand on her shoulder. I take the shot from her hand and drink it myself. It stings, but I can handle it.

"Hey, what did you do that for- Yeonjun!"

"I think it's time for you to go home, Chaeyeon," I say, taking her by her arm.

"No, I don't want to. I want to stay here-" she resists but I still manage to pull her up off the seat.

"Thank you, sir, I was worried because she has already drunk so much," The bartender says.

"Yeah, I was too. Here. For the drinks." I hand him a one hundred dollar bill.

"But this is too much. Let me get your change."

"Keep it. Put it towards something for yourself," I say, smiling in his direction.

"Thank you so much," he bows slightly and I do the same.

I drag her out of the bar and to my car. I open the passenger door and sit her in the front seat, then walk around and get in myself.

"Yeonjunnnn, where are you taking me~," she says, all her words slurring together.

"I'm taking you home, now sit still," I say and put the seatbelt over her chest.

"But I don't want to go home. I want to..." She stops talking and stares at me.

"You want to what?" I ask.

She opens her mouth as if to attempt to form words.

"I... I want to go where you're going," she says to me.

"I'm going home. After taking you home."

"But... but I don't want to be alone. I got hurt last time I was alone..." she says. I sigh, knowing that I can't leave her at home alone in the state she's in. The last time I drove her home after she drank, she was cutting some fruit and nearly chopped her finger off.

"Fine. You can come home with me but you're leaving immediately in the morning," I tell her. I earn a slight nod from her and buckle my seatbelt before turning on the car.

"Yeonjun..." Chaeyeon says, causing me to look over at her. She moves closer to me and tries to kiss me but I back away. "Yeonjun, stop moving away. Come here," she pulls me closer again but unsuccessfully.

"Not now, Chaeyeon."

"Then when?" She asks me.

"I... I don't know." She sighs and looks out the window and pouts.