black dahlia

Violet tied her straggly, brown hair into a loose side ponytail. She couldn't be asked with the hairdryer, making the decision to let it airdry. Tyler's plaid shirt was laid out on the bed, still damp from the rain. It gave her the perfect opportunity to see him again. She pulled it off the bed, leaving it to rest on the radiator beneath her window. It was a circular window, much like Enids, but smaller, with the same spider web pattern, that left a pretty shadow in the room when the sun shone through. Enid had offered to help her make it more colourful, like her own, but Violet rather liked it the way it was. 

Violet liked her room. It was smaller than her old one she shared with Enid, but it was cosy. Wooden beams and panels covered the walls that she had decorated with various posters and paintings. Her bed sat with the headboard against the wall, next to the window. The bed print was a pretty sage green, her favourite colour. A vinyl record player sat on the desk, joined by various knickknacks and pot plants. She loved her room, but she did miss the company from Enid.

Violet grabbed her grey hoodie, leaving the botanical science homework that she was supposed to be doing, discarded on her desk. She pulled open her door, skipping across the hall way to her old room. She opened the door quietly, the rusty door knob squeaking.

''When I look at you, the following emojis come to mind. Rope. Shovel. Hole."
Wednesday and Enid were currently stood in the middle of the room, opposite each other. The large circular window had had the colour striped down one side, splitting the room in half. Wednesday's half and Enid's half. 
'By the way, there are two d's in Addams. If your going to gossip about me, at least spell my name correctly'. 
Wednesday turned back to her desk, clearly feeling like her point was made. Before she sat back down, loud pop music started to play. She spun back around almost immediately.
'Turn that off' She said, her voice raised. 'This is your final warning. Enid lurched forward, her hands raised up, her brightly coloured nails now long and pointy.
'Don't mess with me!' She shouted. 'This kitty's got claws and she's not afraid to use them.
'What are you doing?!' Violet whisper-shouted, finally deciding it was time to intervene.
'How long have you been stood there?' Wednesday asked, her gaze piercing her like a dagger. 'Long enough' She said, taking another step forward. Before anyone else could answer, Miss Thornhill stepped in, red boots caked with mud.

'Evening girls'. Enid threw her hands behind her back, plastering an innocent smile onto her face. 'I just wanted to make sure Wednesday was settling in' She said, an almost suspicious look on her face. 'Is this a bad time?' Judging by the silence, Miss Thornhill took that as a no, and stepped forward to introduce herself. 'I'm miss Thornhill, I'm sorry I wasn't here to greet you when you arrived, I trust Enid and Violet have given you the old nevermore welcome' She grinned. 
'I've been smothered with hospitality' She said. If it wasn't for her lack of emotion, it would have come off a lot more sarcastic. 'It almost makes me want to return the favour. In her sleep.' 
'Well, heres a little welcoming gift from my conservatory.' She handed her a pot with a dainty black flower. 'I try to match the right flower to each of my girls'. Violet had remembered the flower she'd gotten. A violet for a violet. It still sat prettily on her desk in her room.
'A black dahlia' Wednesday muttered.
'Oh you know it?' Miss Thornhills smile widened.
'Of course. It's named after my favourite unsolved murder'.
Miss Thornhill really had matched the flower well. 'Thank you'
'Okie dokie' She said cheerfully. 'Oh before I leave, I want to go over a few house rules. Lights out at 10, no loud music, and no boys. ever.'

'What's the story about going into the local town? She asked.
'Passes to Jericho are a privilege, not a right. Its a brisk 25 minutes walk, or there's a shuttle on the weekend. The towns people are a tad bit wary about nevermore, so please don't go making any waves or perpetuating any outcast stereotypes.' she then looked to Enid. 'So that means keep your claws to yourself, no smothering people in their sleep.' She averted her gaze to Wednesday. 'And no creeping around at night' She glanced towards Violet. 'Are we clear?'.
By the looks on the girls faces, this was definitely not clear.
 'Great talk' Miss Thornhill nodded, before turning on her heel and leaving the dorm.
Violet turned back to the other 2 girls, both still in the same places that Thornhill had left them in. It was funny really. Seeing them both stood side by side really enhanced their differences. They were both complete polar opposites. She'd never seen Enid get so annoyed and, well, Wednesday, she seemed permanently annoyed. This should be fun. 

                        ☆★☆★☆