Justice For Jonathan

Riley's POV:

Our hands slipped away from each other's chests, "come on.. we have to get back on the road" he said, helping me to my feet. 

All of a sudden, I felt like I was seeing everything with different lenses. 

When we approached the car, across the department, Ryan and I proceeded to stay silent about the actions we just endured. 

He eyed the road, as my thoughts were running wild, it was hard for me to catch up. But then I cleared my throat,

 "so what's the plan?" I asked, not really aware of where we were headed. 

"Since we couldn't find any evidence that leads to a different person, electronic wise, house wise, or even anything else material wise. We need to check the body" Ryan said, as my stomach turned. 

It was hard enough seeing Jonathan's body, lying there on the floor, the body I tripped over, when I walked into his vacant apartment. And now we were about search it for evidence? I didn't know how I felt about that. But of course, anything at this point.. helps. 

The sun was starting to set and the skies were appearing darker, once we made it to the morgue. When we walked inside, there was a man at the front desk, staring at some monitors. I fluffed my hair, and lowered the zipper on my jacket. 

"What are you about to do?" Ryan asked, looking over at me. 

"Follow my lead" I said confidently, walking over to the man behind the desk and resting my elbows on top. 

"Well hello there.." I said softly, with the flirtiest smile I could conjure up. 

"Hello?" the man asked, as if it were a question. 

"Do you think you could be a dime.. and let us by?" I asked, as Ryan scoffed behind me. 

"Uh..can I help you two?" the man asked, as my cheeks flushed red. 

Great, my flirting wasn't working, and I hate to admit this but.. I was a little offended. 

"We need to see the body of Jonathan Dwyer, on behalf of the Scattervale Police Department. Officer McKennedy" Ryan said, as he revealed his badge for the man to see. He took his badge, as I read the man's name tag. Tyler. 

"He's in the back, I'll show you myself" Tyler said, as Ryan nodded. 

"A dime? seriously?" Ryan laughed, as I shoved him. 

"Shut up" I said, feeling embarrassed that Ryan had to witness all of that while he just laughed even more. 

"Here we are" Tyler said, pointing to a morgue drawer, as he pulled open the door, and grabbed the tray of Jonathan's corpse. When he rolled him into view, my heart was racing. And memories were haunting me again from when I saw him before.

"Thank you..Tyler" Ryan said, folding his arms, as Tyler nodded, before heading back to his desk. 

"Okay, we gotta be quick, before he runs my badge through the database and sends the police after us" Ryan said, grabbing some gloves from the other table and peeling the sheet off of Jonathan's body. 

I needed to stay away from his body as much as possible, so I walked over to his clipboard, hanging at the bottom of the tray, as I skimmed through it. 

"You don't have to be in here Riley, you could have waited in the car" Ryan said, as he examined Jonathan's head. I shook my head, as much as the room was making me nervous and nauseous, being in a place with dead corpses. One of these bodies could be probably my mother. Who knows where she could be.