Part II

Chapter 22

Time crept along for me as if in a fog, from childhood, when my guide was mom, with her long hair, vegan dishes, incense and pop music, to teenage years, when my hormones rumbled inside me, along with my powers, and I was afraid to talk to anyone. For a long time, I thought I was asexual until I realized I had major intimacy issues. After a brief internet search of articles on popular psychology, I found out that these problems were due to my father's absence and that my mother was so busy with our survival that she could not meet my emotional needs. This was not hard to figure out, but it left me with even more questions and no solutions. 

Despite all of this, I lived a sheltered life; my physical needs were met, I went to school like any normal kid, graduated from high school with mediocre success, and entered my young adult years feeling empty and directionless. When magic made its appearance, I realized how little I knew, yet it opened a new door for me, a light of hope where a maybe was born. Maybe I will find my place, maybe I have a purpose in this world, maybe, maybe, maybe.

Now that I have found my mother, I feel the same as I did when I found out I had severe daddy issues—more questions and no solutions.

I have a father and grandmother in positions of influence, and as many times as my pride has been hurt, I have to keep trying because... what else can I do? Give up and go back to live with my mother experiencing emptiness again? She's going to make me get a job and live away from magic, I know it. And I have to somehow find out what happened between Grandma and Enoch. Among the 100th questions on my mind, this one tops the list.

I got up an hour before my ten o'clock class to talk to my grandmother and maybe my father. I called him, but he didn't pick up. I reach his office, and by the guards at the door, he's already inside.

"Master Arnold has business to attend with Mistress Evelyn," the guard says in a serious voice.

"Good, because I want to talk to both of them," I say without giving in.

He eyes me up and down, goes into the office, and comes out a minute later, waving me in with his head.

My father, dressed in dark blue, and my grandmother, dressed in white, stand in front of the window with their backs to me, looking at some papers. They barely acknowledge my presence.

"Good morning," I say.

She glances over her shoulder. "What's that hideous thing you are wearing?"

I look down at my thrifted plaid suit and worn Converse shoes.

"Make it quick, honey, we are busy," my dad says.

I hesitate for a moment, thinking about how to break the news to them, and decide on:

"I found Mom."

They stop talking, lower the papers, and slowly turn to me.

"Come again?" asks Dad.

Grandma realizes it's not a joke and lets out a beaming laugh. "This ought to be good."

I step closer to them despite my raging anxiety.

"You have to take this seriously, he could be coming after you, and more mages are joining him every day."

"Who?" She asks.

"Enoch!"

She laughs again and throws the papers on the desk. "Do not be ridiculous, that bum has absolutely nothing to stand against us. So that's what Cecilia has been doing. She neglects her daughter and wastes her time on nonsense."