Sweet Surprise

His wife had finally given birth and he was barely there for her during the pregnancy. This caused arguments in the Glass household. Vincent had been so engulfed in the case he was working on he had barely spent time with his newborn son.

"This is a slight overreaction don't you think". He said watching his wife pack her clothes in her big, brown leather suitcase. She had decided that it was best that she went to visit her parents during the period of his case, she would take the kids of course, and her aunts and cousins would be nearby to help.

In his heart, he knew this was the most logical thing to do, not only because she would get help with the children but because of safety reasons too, after all, he was going after the mob. But a part of him couldn't help but feel anxious, what if she decides that wants to leave him and never return.

"Vincent, it's only temporary until I am able to handle both the children on my own, you can call every day". She said whilst taking clothes out of her closet. Her mother only stayed with them for a couple of weeks before she became too homesick.

"That could take weeks if not months". He said causing her to stop her actions and turn to look at him with furrowed brows.

"Months ? I thought you said that you had this under wraps". The annoyance was evident in her tone and facial expression. She had been patient with him but was beginning to lose it.

"We ran into a little snag". He sighed causing her to scoff.

"A snag?". She cackled bitterly

"You know what maybe this temporary separation is not a bad idea". She said, angrily strapping up her suitcase, he furrowed his brows.

"Separation?" He said softly. She said that she was visiting her family back home in the South, nothing about a separation. They had been fighting lately, well the few times that he was actually home, but nothing that warranted a separation in his opinion.

"I meant it when I took my vows and said till death to us part but now I just need a break, I just had a baby, I feel sad all the time and you never here. I need to be in a peaceful enviroment". She said softly as tears began falling down her cheeks.

He simply nodded and left the room.

The bitter liquid slightly burnt his throat as he he took another swig of the brown liquor. He could feel himself slightly begin to dose off as he was his eighth drink of the night. In all honestly, Salvatore wouldn't mind if he dosed off and never woke up. He had lost the person who mattered most to him, he was still facing this court case where he was being prosecuted by his own brother, his father's bastard son. His life was a mess and he wished he could end it all but he had responsibilities.

"Another one" . He slurred lifting up his glass and nodding towards the barman.

"He's had enough, thank you". A gruff voice came from behind causing him to chuckle bitterly. He turned around to see the short man with an unamused look on his face as he took a seat next to him.

"You choose to go back to acting like a boy at a crucial time like this". His father spat harshly.

"So me having a few drinks is me acting like a boy". He said as he slowly put the glass back on the bar.

"You're drunk!". Vito whisper yelled gaining some eyes from the patrons at the bar.

"I'm trying to get something off my mind, allow me to be human this one time". Salvatore rebutted with a slight clench to his jaw.

"Something or someone". Vito said as he signaled for the bartender to serve him a drink. His son turned to look at him.

"What do you mean". Sal clenched the glass in front of him as he felt his heartrate starting to speed up. He tried his best to hide her, he didn't want anyone from his family, from his world to find out about her. She was the only source of his happiness.

"I know about your little coloured gal from Harlem". Vito spat before taking a sip of his drink. The boy was an idiot to think that he could hide anything from him. Vito was always a step ahead. Salvatore could feel himself sober up as he tensed in his seat.

"Is she the reason why you refuse to marry". Vito spat, his son was putting the family at risk by is refusal to marry and produce heirs. He had worked hard to continue the family business and he would be damned if his idiotic son was going to ruin it for some girl.

"You know why I refuse to marry". Sal said in a soft voice

"Bullshit!". Vito spat hitting his hand on that bar. A few people looked towards them but quickly diverted their attention when they realized who they were.

"You ain't the first made man heck you ain't the first person to have....this done to them". He said gesturing towards his son's face.

"Since you refuse to choose your own bride, I've taken it upon myself to choose one for you". Vito said taking another sip of his drink. He had met with the daughter of an associate, after accessing the girl he determined that she was good enough to carry his family name. Young, beautiful, dutiful and most importantly Sicilian.

"And what if I refuse to marry...this...girl". Sal spat glaring at his father.

"You don't have a choice, I own you". His father rebutted.

"Remember sonny, once you're in you're in. There is no leaving". He said.

"I never asked for....". Sal said before he was cut off by his father.

"You were born into it, just like I was". Vito said sipping his drink.

"You're no longer a boy Salvatore, you have obligations to fulfill just like I did. That's just how life is supposed to be". He continued

"I hate this life". Sal said softly whilst watching his father get up from his seat.

"Well, me too. But at least I'm man enough to put up with it". Vito spat before walking out of the bar leaving his son with his dark thoughts.

I'm baaaaack. You know the drill, please vote, comment and share. Peace