Babysitting

VICTORIA

I was just tying my hair back when the knock sounded on the door. Rory and Margaret rushed to the door, their little hands reaching for the knob, but I pulled them back. "Just a minute!" I said.

Perfect timing. I had just ten minutes to walk to work. Though Grace was a sweet girl, it was nice to see that she was punctual. Her father on the phone had said she had much experience taking care of her younger siblings at home.

Pushing Margaret behind me, I opened the door. I was relieved to see the grime and dirt had been washed from her face, and her hazelnut brown hair fell about her shoulders in damp waves. She wore a blue T-shirt and jeans, but not without the characteristic hot pink sweater I'd seen her wear at the shop.

"Good morning." I waved her in, closing the door. "This is Margaret and her brother Rory." When he realized it was a stranger, Rory had run to the kitchen, but the kitchen table leg was a poor choice for a hiding spot. "You'll see Derek in the bedroom playing with his toys. Just check in on him every ten or so minutes."

Grace nodded, dutifully following me through the apartment as I showed her the kitchen, the cramped living room, and the kids' room. Margaret clasped her hand and pointed to her rocking horse. "Horsie!" she said.

Grace went to one knee, grinning widely, and said, "Wow! What's your horsie's name?"

Margaret babbled on, and the knot in my chest relaxed as I saw that Grace's bluntfulness had nothing to do with how she worked with children. I interrupted their play and led Grace over to the refrigerator. "This is my number, my husband's number, and a close friend's number. Her name is Abigail. Whatever you need, you can call any one of us and we'll be down here. Do you have a phone?"

Grace shook her head.

"Use the home phone then." I held up the receiver. "If you get a call, don't answer it, just let it go to voicemail. If it's anyone who needs to reach me, they'll call my cell." I let out a breath. "You ready?"

Grace nodded, her expression one of determination. "Yep."

"My husband will be back at noon." I grabbed my purse from the counter, then handed her a few bills. "Here's your pay. My husband can give your dad a call to come pick you up once he gets here."

Grace smiled, though her expression seemed to be tight now. "Sounds good."

I showed her some snacks for the kids in the fridge, grabbed my purse, and then started down the stairs once I heard the apartment lock click from the inside.

The bakery was in somewhat of a lull when I entered. With a nod to my manager, I tied my hair up and my apron on, and I slipped behind the counter. A nice coworker—whose name tag read Delia—smiled at me. "How's everything going with the kids, Tori?"

I matched her grin, discreetly wiping my hands on my pants. "Fine. We've got a babysitter there right now until Nick gets home from work."

Delia nodded. "I imagine you're nervous. I was when I used to leave my little ones at home. Now that they're all grown up, I certainly miss them."

"I can imagine."

A bunch of teenagers came in for the lunch rush and our conversation was interrupted for later. Her words rang in my ears—grown up. I couldn't believe Margaret, Rory, and Derek were already two years old. We'd already almost outgrown the apartment with the big crib in the cramped nursery, and we definitely will when they graduate to having beds. We could probably keep Margaret in the bed, but with what little time Nick and I spend together during the day, it wouldn't be the best option.