suzie, do you copy?

June 28th, 1984

two russian scientists cautiously grasped the keys and brought them outside of the metal box. they brought them over to the holes the keys were meant to be put in. they nodded to eachother, in sync, and quickly turned the key.

the giant, blinding laser began to erupt with sound as electrical beams burst out of it. scientists watched carefully as the contraption continued to move quicker. people in hazmat suits stood next to the laser, admiring the bright beam of light. more scientists took notes of what they were observing. it looked absolutely extraordinary.

the laser hit the wall with extreme force. you could see something opening. something red, bright, and out of this world. it was a portal to another universe.

greasy, black vines began to slither out of the opening doorway. they seemed as if they were alive. the portal continued to open as more and more vines made their way out.

many of the researchers were caught off guard when the small cup of coffee on the desk started to rattle. that was followed with the room beginning to shake. they looked up to see the laser was getting thicker than it was supposed to.

lights flickered as sparks from the machines went flying. everyone was running around, foolishly, like a headless chicken. the room shook more violently as the laser got larger.

the portal began to close, vines slithering their way back in. they tried to stop the machine, but it was too late.

the laser powered down and everyone felt a sort of relief. that was until the shaft of light exploded. electricity went flying everywhere. anyone next to the laser was now dissolved. all they were left with was small white particles floating in the air, and multiple torn hazmat suits. the portal remained closed.

"we are close," one of the scientists continued. "you can see. you can see our progress. we just need more ti-" the man was silenced by a hand wrapping firmly around his neck. he was then raised into the air. he was held like that until he had died.

"you have one year," the comrade-general said. "yes, comrade-general," another scientist replied.

○○○

One year later

will, lucas, and max have been waiting for over 20 minutes for mike to arrive at the mall. they're supposed to be watching a movie. I mean, they already missed the previews. will wishes mike would stop spending so much time with el. because if he did, maybe they could actually hang out like they used to.

right when they were about to go inside without him, the one and only, mike wheeler, will's best friend since, like kindergarten, or whatever you want to call him, strolls over on his bike.

"you're late," lucas says with an attitude. and, frankly, will doesn't blame him. he was getting quite annoyed by how long mike was taking to get here. he was sure max was feeling the same way.

"sorry!" mike rushes out. he was trying to tie his bike up as quick as he could, like that would change how behind he already was.

"again," lucas finished what he was saying before. "we're gonna miss the opening," will complains. honestly, they probably already missed the opening, but that doesn't mean mike will care any less.

"yeah, if you guys keep whining about it. let's go!" mike replies to will. he has some nerve to blame the others for missing the movie, he knows it's his fault.