vi. twins

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Edward is not the aetheling, the crown cannot be assumed." Aethelwold cut in. He was ignored.

"Then what Alfred is asking for is my life." Luna frowns at that, Alfred needs to stop this nonsense.

"Just your loyalty to Edward." Beocca says and Luna watches Uhtred grow more restless.

"Uhtred has earned everything he has, why can Alfred not understand that? Uhtred has lost so many people to fight for the king. He cannot ask this of him. Not this, not now." Luna spoke and Uhtred gave her a sad smile. Sihtric rubbed her back seeing her getting worked up over the matter.

"He's a boy! Swear an oath to a boy, it is the rest of your life." Finan moves at that moment to be closer to Beocca to hopefully defuse the situation, he knows this fucked up situation and the additional stress wasn't good for Luna and the baby.

"Father, the king asks too much." Finan says.

"What you must now do, Uhtred is consider what will happen if you do not swear the oath to Edward. People will die, it won't just be the men here and Luna who will die. It'll be the men you fought beside days again." Beocca says trying to reason with Uhtred. The Dane looks over at Luna knowing that whatever he decides must be for her and his children.

"It will be Alfred's doing. He could not care less for men in his service."

"The king cares deeply."

"You Beocca, you served him all your life, and for what? His Witan whisper about your choice of wife!" Uhtred claims and sighs knowing that Beocca would defend the king until his life breath.

He just wanted to go back to Coccham to raise his children. He wanted to be able to mourn for his wife. He wanted Luna to be safe and have her child without fear of death looming over them. But he was Uhtred of Bebbanburg and he was destined to feel nothing but the pain it would seem.

As the two began to argue back and forth Luna felt Skade's eyes attempting to burn a hole in her head, she slipped from Sihtric's side as he was immersed in the conversation before him.

"What do you want now?" Luna whispered to the blonde, the seer leaned in closer and moved her hands to touch Luna's stomach.

"The Gods have blessed you with twins. Freyr favors you, I do not why. You will have twins with the Irishman too. It's almost unheard of to have two sets of twins back to back and to survive it." She whispered with curiosity, Luna knew this could be a lie.

A trick even.

"And why does this Freyr you speak of, keep granting me, twins?"

"The blood of the womb runs thick, but the blood of the Gods is thicker. They are to be vessels of power for him and his sister, Freya. They are to become the greatest warriors outside of Uhtred and his men. Your children are to lead a new world of Danes, you will give birth to Gods." Luna gasped at Skade in shock as she placed a hand on her stomach.

Could she be having twins? Sihtric turns immediately, he glares at the seer as he checks on his wife.

"Did she hurt you, my moon?" He whispered, his eyes searching her own for anything out of place.

"No, she did not." Luna leaned into him and looked over at Uhtred and Finan. Uhtred glanced between her and Skade in worry as Finan leaned over to look at Aethelwold.

"Aethelwold, I swear when the killing starts, you shall be my first." He threatens and watches the boy leave quickly.

"There will be no killing," Uhtred speaks and the two men and Luna follow him outside.  "Steapa."

"Lord."

"I will not fight you nor any of these men here. I'll go with you to the king, my friend." Uhtred says and Steapa looks relieved.

"I am pleased to hear you say that, lord." Steapa walks closer. "The king is merciful, he knows your worth." Luna doesn't think that's true at all.

"We shall see. You know what to do." Uhtred says when he turns to Finan and hands him his sword and dagger. As the group walks away Sihtric sets out to ready the horses as Luna grabs Skade to ready for departure. Finan stands next to her when she ties Skade to the horse's saddle. The Irishman pulls her into a kiss as he places a hand on her belly, he gently caresses it with a smile.

"I cannot wait to meet this little warrior, I just know he will be a troublemaker." He said with a chuckle. She smiled at him and watched his expression go from a laugh to a soft smile.

"I have been told by the seer that it will be twins." She watches him closely as he looks over at Sihtric with wide eyes. Sihtric frowns at them completely lost in the conversation.

"Twins?" Finan whispers and shouts though from the wide smile Sihtric now sports he wasn't too quiet. Sihtric moves behind her and touches her hip with one hand and intertwines his other one with Finan's hand over her belly.

"Um, sorry to interrupt," Osferth says awkwardly. "Lord Uhtred is scaling the rooftop." The three breakaway just as Uhtred falls from the hay roof.

"So, they decided to let you go?" Finan asks as he gives him his weapons.

"We should ride."

"Lord, you are cut." Finan said worried and Luna went to Uhtred's side to check for the wound, Uhtred gently moved her hands away from him.

"Barely." Luna scoffs at that.

"We will ride to where, lord?" Sihtric asks getting the horses.

"To Ragnar and to the Danes."

"Then we should go meet your men." Finan said as they mounted the saddles, Luna was lifted onto Sihtric's horse as they rode away from the king.

"Hurry! Hyah, hyah!" Uhtred yells.