3) Blanket

Word Count: 735
*Penny's POV*

Finally! I opened the big box that my mom had sent over with stuff from my childhood bedroom. Only took her 5 years after I moved out. Of course, I had already taken all the important stuff, so the box was mostly filled with stuffed animals, a few books, a couple of lamps, my plant pot collection, and a few things she had bought specifically to gift me. I smiled as I arranged everything around my apartment, being sure to throw the books into a "give to someone who cares" pile.

At the bottom of the box, I notice a blanket - not one that I recognise, so probably something Mom bought as a present. I smile and look over to my bed, about to toss it on before coming to the realisation about just how many blankets and such I already have. Scrunching up my face in annoyance, I reluctantly throw it onto the "give to someone else" pile before deciding to tidy up a little in general.

"Penny. Penny. Penny." Sheldon knocks thrice on my front door, three times for each "Penny". I sigh and open it, rolling my eyes at his comment about how "unnaturally tiny" it looks today.

"What is it, Sheldon?" I groan, wanting to get back to cleaning before losing my motivation.

"Leonard texted me to tell me to ask you if you wanted to join us for a costume party tomorrow evening," he pesters. I give him a crooked smile before rejecting the offer and closing the door in his face. My gaze falls onto the pile of unwanted stuff, and I turn around again to call Sheldon back.

"D'you or Leonard want any of this stuff?" I ask, vaguely gesturing to the pile before getting back to picking up old clothes and putting them in the wash basket. He shuffled through the things, making various comments about the books and how horrible my reading level may be, which I just kind of snickered under my breath at.

"I'll have this," Sheldon half-asks, half-states, holding up the blanket.

"Yeah, sure," I say, and he scuttles off again, remembering to shout a quick "thank you" just before entering his own apartment.

.

*Leonard's POV

I unlock the door after helping Howard and his mom with some errands, absolutely exhausted and still feeling quite uncomfortable about the whole experience. Dropping the keys in the bowl, I head straight over to the kitchen to make myself some cocoa.

"I would like some too, please, Leonard," a voice snaps from behind me, and I almost jump out of my skin, whirling around to see Sheldon sitting rock-still on the couch, a blanket wrapped around him so he just looks like a lump of fabric with a face. "hello, by the way."

"When the fuck did you get there?" I gasp whilst conducting a desperate attempt to scrabble back my dignity.

"Well, there's really no need for that language, is there? And I've been here for ages, thank you very much," he huffs back. I apologise meekly and resume the cocoa-making process, making sure I recite the exact way I make his to avoid the interrogation about it in a minute. Once done, I pick up both mugs and settle next to my boyfriend on the couch, putting my mug on the coffee table and passing Sheldon his, kissing his cheek lovingly as I did so. He glares at me for the cheek kiss, but nevertheless thanks me for the cocoa.

I lean against him as I drink my from own mug, complaining about this and that because he won't listen to it anyway. He informs me that Penny will not be attending the costume party with us tomorrow, which he already texted me earlier but repeated regardless. I turn on the TV to some documentary about rocks, which Sheldon scoffs at and starts ranting about whatever. I put down my now-empty cocoa mug and pull his blanket around me as well, resting my head on his shoulder. Turning off the TV, he puts down his mug as well and turns towards me slightly to delicately kiss me on the lips, which I return with a tired smile, and take off my glasses to properly cuddle into him, taking his left hand in my right and breathing in his soft scent of honey and washing powder.