Chapter 1

For miles, nothing but flat expanses of torching hot sand stretched out toward the horizon, a chaotic divide of fiery orange and heavenly blue. Seemingly uniting the two was the blinding heat of the sun, shining proudly to bring the fire of the earth to the cool, softly woven sky. Nothing living was in sight, as it had been for the past countless days; it seemed to be hiding, cowering in fear of the ruthless destruction that still wreaked havoc a decade after it had first sprung to action.

The only break in the horizon was the silhouette of a massive city. Half of it was surrounded by white walls that seemed to glow under the bright sun, an impenetrable design to seemingly protect the citizens inside, while also keeping them imprisoned and isolated from the rest of the world. Of course, the city hosting the country's government head would have the highest security, the strictest laws and the most severe of punishments. No one ever dared to travel here, for there was neither a benefit from the long, dangerous travel, nor a chance that anyone would be able to get within half a mile of the city walls without being shot down.

However, for the first time in nearly the entire decade that this desert had existed, a trail of light footprints embedded and sunken into the sand, trailed toward the sight of the city with the false glow of heaven's gates. A young woman treaded cautiously toward it, her red cloak disguising her features and build while shading her from the beating rays of the sun.

Her eyes were not locked onto the gorgeous architecture of the walls or the roofs of the buildings that peak out over the top. Her pale green eyes were set on the ruins that lay beside it. A massive expanse of broken down sandstone left behind as evidence of the town that had once stood proud before. Now, it was apparent that few buildings even remained standing to their full height, and their scattered remains would fall to cover the sandy roads between them. Even as she drew closer, the walls didn't seem to hide anything from her view.

However, she knew better than to be mislead by a simple illusion spell.

Once she had reached the abandoned town, she stopped in her tracks and looked up at the crumbling sandstone with an unbreakable stare. Her pale, emerald eyes toiled and swirled as if within them was a living thing, and slowly faded into a dark, deep red.

As if a curtain had been lifted from her senses, suddenly, new sounds reached her ears; the sound of conversations, laughter and civilization. No longer was there simply an abandoned city before her, but she could see flashes of people passing by allies and roads that led from where she was into the maze of buildings. There were bridges between roof tops and areas of shade from the hot sun, created by awnings of colourful fabrics. A society had been built here, a civilization that was completely unknown to the ruthless city directly next to it.

Not only was it a miracle that there was life here, but the girl knew that here was the oldest, largest colony of Casters known to her. Further, it was the supposed home of one of the most powerful Covens in the Caster community.

Readjusting her hood with tan, slender fingers, the girl moved forward into the buzzing city with a stunning fluidity, her blood red cloak billowing behind her with each step. Not a single ray of sun touched her skin, painted with the shadow cast by her robes.

Although she had never once visited this ghetto, or any of the colonies, rather, there was a certain tug in her chest that led her through the winding streets and narrow allies as if she had walked these paths her entire life. It felt as though her very blood was attracted to the place her heart desired to lead her. She followed it without falter, not daring to question such a strong connection to something she did not yet know.

Within moments, it was clear where she was being led. Blocking one of what appeared to be the main road in this town, was a large group of huddled individuals shrouded in grey, tattered cloaks. It was impossible to tell who was hidden underneath each of the hoods as they were filed into a cramped doorway, slowly but surely. This was where she was meant to be? She couldn't question it, she supposed.