viii. fear of losing him

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

During the night Luna had managed to unconsciously cuddle against Uhtred's arm, seeking both warmth and comfort. The man had decided if he were to die he would want to go out watching her sleep, to remember what she looked like. He weakly moved one hand to rake it through her wavy hair, he wouldn't mind dying right now with her being the last memory and thought in his head.

"It is the fever, it will pass." Osferth said as he sat down next to the other two men, he had attempted to feed Uhtred but it had not gone well.

"He sees someone. It is the Gods tormenting him." Skade speaks to the three men running up the hill when Uhtred sits up shouting and making himself cough. Luna wakes up in confusion but helps Finan push Uhtred back down to rest.

"Lord, lord! You must eat and you must drink. You are not thinking right." Finan says urgently.

"Brida." Uhtred mumbles.

"Finan, look." Sihtric speaks alerting the Irishman, there in the darkness stood Brida.

"Brida." Finan whispers.

At Dunholm Luna lies in bed with Uhtred, she is unable to leave his side afraid it would be his last. Ragnar had visited a couple of times to check on them, and many times she had cried in his arms as he promised Uhtred would wake soon with Brida's help.

"He will be alright, Luna. He is a strong warrior. Not to mention his love and devotion to you would not allow him to die." Ragnar said and rubbed her arms gently when he saw her hunched over Uhtred crying. Ragnar kissed her head and sighed when he looked at his brother. "He is many things, my dear Luna. But smart does not seem to be one of them." Luna giggled through her tears as she agreed with him.

Uhtred had startled awake not long after with a gasp and looked around the room, his gaze fell on Luna who was lying on his chest. He frowned when he noticed she looked like a mess with her hair disarrayed and dried tears on her pale cheeks. He rubbed her back softly hoping to give her some comfort, he smiled against her hair when she moved to toss her leg over his own to get closer.

"Uhtred?" She mumbled tiredly into his neck, he hummed quietly as she slowly woke up. "Uhtred!" She quickly sat up to check him over and slapped his arm when he smiled. "Do not ever do that again! I thought I lost you, I thought I would have to watch another lover die." She whispered and broke down into tears at the thought of watching him die not long after Gisela. Uhtred shushed her quietly as he pulled her into his arms and stroked her hair. She pulled him into the most emotional kiss he'd ever experienced, the pain and relief all mixed into one simple heartfelt kiss.

"I need you, Uhtred. I need to feel you." She begged as she straddled him, he nodded in understanding and helped untie his trousers to pull his cock out, she grasped it in her hand stroking it to hardness. Uhtred gripped her thighs with restraint as she lowered herself onto it, they both moaned out when his cock was fully sheathed in her. Luna leaned down to kiss Uhtred as she slowly rode him, the small gasps he released were swallowed up by her mouth. "I love you so much, Uhtred of Bebbanburg. So much that it hurts my heart sometimes." She says as he gazed up at her with pure love.

"And I love you, Luna. We all do." Not long after they find release and she slumps into his arms, that is how Finan finds them and gives them a relieved smile. He patted Uhtred's arm affectionately as he and Luna helped the lord out of bed. Ragnar greeted them when the three entered the hall, the Dane quickly gave Uhtred some food as Finan broke the bread into pieces for him. Luna leaned against Ragnar's side as she watched her lovers, the blonde slung an arm around her shoulder and squeezed it softly.

"Good?" Ragnar asks watching his brother.

"It is good." Uhtred replies with a smile as Brida sits down with a smile of her own.

"We thought you gone, lord." Finan said and watched the lord softly.

"The same, I fear I'd die an old man's death, under furs." Uhtred spoke and looked at Luna who gave him a sad smile.

"So the great Dane-slayer was afraid?" She looked at the newcomer and noticed his fiery red hair. Ragnar kissed her head when he felt her squirm uncomfortably at Cnut's gaze on her, Ragnar shot his cousin a warning look.

"You are who?" Uhtred asked plainly and noticed how he looked at Luna, Finan narrowed his eyes at the exchange.

"He's no one important, Uhtred." Brida informed with a grin.

"I am Cnut."

"You are what?" Finan spoke.

"He is Cnut, he's my cousin on my mother's side." Ragnar said and she noticed he didn't seem to like the redhead too much.

"I'm a dane, lord Uhtred. So are you gonna kill me too?" Cnut taunted, Luna moved from Ragnar and sat next to Uhtred. One of his hands moved to her stomach to ground himself from killing the Dane.

"You talk like an infant." Luna rubbed his hand when his thumb caressed her belly softly.

"How many of us have you really dispatched to Valhalla? Is it twelve? Twenty? Forty?" Luna shot him a glare not liking the disrespect, Ragnar must have noticed because he quickly interrupted.

"Cnut, you'll shut your mouth. Now show my brother some respect."

"Or I may have to kill one more." Uhtred teased and watched Ragnar laugh with a grin.

"He's back! He's back! Get up. Upon your feet! Get up!" Ragnar says happily, Finan looks at them with a smile as Uhtred stands. "He's back where he belongs. Where he has always belonged, you're a dane for life now. Say it!" Ragnar says happily.

"I am a dane for life." Uhtred says softly.

"No, say it." They began to thump their fists on the tables.

"I am a dane for life." She and Finan look at one another, both feeling a sense of dread. They weren't Danes, they would never be.

"Mean it!"

"I am a dane for life! From this day onwards." Ragnar pulls his brother into a hug.

"This means everything to me." He says softly to Uhtred, as the men cheer she notices Finan growing more worried.